Regis Philbin retiring at end of summer

dragonflies

• Members

I won't be surprised if Regis moves to Los Angeles or Florida. The cold Manhattan winters have finally started getting to him.

Interesting that he's jumping to WME, I wish him luck.

George Hamilton or Martin Short are the right types for the show. Kelly Ripa is a second banana, simple as that. She can't lead a talk show.

Really, with Live!'s deal ending this year, Buena Vista should can the show.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
They have nothing to replace the show with, which is the problem. If Regis had made this announcement in August, that would have given Frons and those in charge of Live enough time to find a suitable co-host or replacement. By canceling the show, there's no guarantee that stations would have something suitable to fill the void.

• Members

I think they're definitely going with a "name." This is unlike the time when they were searching for a replacement for KLG. Back then, they could afford to hire a fresh face.

I don't consider Kelly a seasoned veteran yet, despite 10 years under her belt. I think they will need to pair her with someone who has anchored or hosted a show before.

Please no Ryan Seacrest. Not crazy about Jeff Probst either.

• Members

ABC/Disney and Kelly should be very very worried. The replacement has to be a "name" but it can't be someone cheap like Mario Lopez.

If Lopez is Regis' replacement, I guarantee affiliates that still have deals with LIVE! will sack this show to late-night. Remember when Caroline Rhea "replaced" Rosie O'Donnell? That lasted one season. Rosie O' had the post-GH slot in my area and when Caroline Rhea premiered(same affiliate), she aired at 1:37AM.

Archived