Regis Philbin retiring at end of summer

dragonflies

• Members

NEW YORK, N.Y. --

Veteran broadcaster Regis Philbin says he’s retiring from his weekday talk show.

Regis, 79, made the announcement at the start of Tuesday morning’s “Live With Regis and Kelly,” which he has hosted for a quarter-century, most recently sharing hosting duties with Kelly Ripa.

Philbin said he would be stepping down from the show around the end of the summer, but he didn’t specify a departure date.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/regis-philbin-announces-plans-to-retire-from-his-weekday-talk-show_article_42387

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Regis was best with Kathie Lee (Kelly is too much, and I can't stand him as a game show host), but I still hate to see him leave his show. It was such a constant presence in the homes of a lot of people I loved who sadly are no longer here.

• Members
Are you serious? Kelly is FAR LESS obnoxious than Kathie Lee. I think his chemistry with Kelly is on-target.

ABC/Buena Vista can't give it a full season to find his replacement, like they did when Kathie Lee left. I think they really have to find a permanent replacement now. Luckily, they've had a guest co-host about twice every other week this season. I bet Anderson Cooper regrets signing that deal for his own show.

@Stiletto...Frons will move "Live" to L.A. :P

• Members

I know! And I was sitting there watching that clip last night thinking, "Aww, 'member when I used to get up at a decent hour and watch them? :blush: I should start doing that again." And only hours later... It's funny because he was talking about spending time in FL and how he always checks on the weather in NY, and just a few hours ago on Access Hollywood they were interviewing Kathie Lee and she was saying how Regis will probably want to spend some more time in warmer weather. Oh, and I also agree that Kelly has nothing on KL in terms of annoyingness. :lol: Just watching her on Access, she was a pain in the butt to interview, long-winded and impossible to cut into for the sake of moving along the segment.

Ugh, Regis is VERY hard to replace. CM would love to land that gig, but HELLZ no I say, oh my word, that would be a travesty. I'd say a big no to the CM and Mario Lopez types (and Mark for that matter!). People like Tom Bergeron are too corny, people like Anderson Cooper are too cynical. It's sad, but I have a much easier time coming up with names I *wouldn't* want :lol: (Mario Cantone, Walt Wiley, Clay "smell my hand" Aiken...). They're a little too slick, but George Hamilton was a good talk show host when he and Alana had a show, and Ted Danson has a similar charming quality but I don't see that happening. John O'Hurley might be nice. The thing is, a big part of the charm of the duo was KL and Kelly making fun of old Reeeeege, can't be somebody too polished.

• Members

You can't replace Regis because everyone who came after him has tried their best to be the blandest thing under the sun, while he honed this persona of being perpetually exasperated. Chuck Woolery? Pat Sajak? Just think of all the game show hosts and which one of them had any personality? And then in the talk show world you have even less choices.

Cameron Mathison is a pleasant, personable mannequin, which means he does not contrast with ultra perky Kelly.

Archived