The Entire Cast of Family Ties to Reunite for the 9th Annual TV Land Awards

Soapsuds

• Members

Oh Eric, I didn't mean "Out of This World" (which my cousins and I watched after school, ♫Oh would you like to swing on a star... Oh-Oh-Oh!♫). I didn't learn until recently that that was Mr. Burt Reynolds as the voice of Evie's dad in that crystal thing, I think he was also EP. Anyway, the Canadian show with Dave Coulier I was talking about was called "Out of Control" and it had this crazy Roxy from OLTL like lady as the sidekick named Dizz and she would randomly hit these whistle notes but like she was actually whistling, oh God this is probably making no sense. Let me see if there's some YouTube on it...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, so here's the show (embedding disabled):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KDMC_qYzQ&feature=related

And here's bootleg Cyndi Lauper, Diz:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBBCwpYp0mg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xcc2550&amp;color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBBCwpYp0mg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xcc2550&amp;color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBBCwpYp0mg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0xcc2550&amp;color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

Hot damn, SFK, that's crazy as hell!

I remember lots of random, low-budget children's shows like that as well. Of course, most people my age range remember PBS's BIG COMFY COUCH, starring Loonette the Clown and her doll Molly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM3LL5GREqs

I also remember sort of a exercise/fitness show that I watched. I don't think it was PBS because I remember it had commercial breaks...it might have been a Canadian import. It had a guy in a Barney-like costume, only his was made up like a person. I'm picturing gigantic glasses as well. And like, the kids would visit various parts of the "town" (the whole town was set up in the studio, kinda like Golden Road on TPIR) and be all educational and stuff. This is a hideous description, I know, but for YEARS, I've been unable to figure out what it was, and I'm really starting to winder if it's just in my head.

• Members

Bonsall life...oh dear

Life after actingIn 1995, Bonsall retired from acting and moved with his mother and stepfather to Boulder, Colorado. He attended Boulder High School, graduating in 2000.[1] He also became a musician, forming a rock band with his friends called "Late Bloomers" in 1998. He has also been in the Boulder, Colorado based punk bands "Thruster" as well as "The Light on Adam's Stereo". He was in the Los Angeles based punk band This Life of Mine, but is also working on solo projects.

In a 2005 interview, he stated that he has no interest in returning to acting.

Legal and substance abuse troubles

Since he left acting, Bonsall has had a number of run-ins with the law. In 2001, he was convicted of driving under the influence, and in 2004, he was arrested under suspicion of drunk driving.[2] On March 28, 2007, Bonsall was arrested for charges of second degree assault and false imprisonment after an altercation with his girlfriend. In a plea bargain, Bonsall pleaded guilty to third degree assault and the other charges were dropped. He was then sentenced to 24 months probation on August 31.[3]

In June 2008, Bonsall was accused of violating the conditions of his probation by failing to pay for domestic violence classes, missing daily Breathalyzer tests, failing one Breathalyzer test, and walking out on a urine test.[4][5] He was due to appear in a court hearing scheduled for July 16, 2008, to answer for these alleged probation violations. Bonsall failed to show at the hearing, however, and an arrest warrant was issued, coupled with a $2,500 bail bond. After more than a year on the lam, on December 5, 2009, Bonsall was arrested by the Boulder Police Department on the Failure to Appear warrant after being picked up for assaulting his best friend with a bar stool.[1] In the police report for the assault incident Bonsall stated that he has bipolar disorder.[1] Bonsall also admitted to drinking heavily and being a heavy drug user to the degree that they make him "forget things".[1]

On December 11, 2009, Bonsall was charged in Colorado with second-degree assault after police say he repeatedly hit a friend in the head with a broken wooden stool in a bar brawl on December 5.[6]

On February 19, 2010, Bonsall was arrested on a charge of possession of marijuana in violation of his probation.[7]

On April 9, 2010, Bonsall pleaded guilty to menacing and third degree assault in connection with the bar brawl in Colorado and was sentenced to two years' probation[8]

• Members

OK I totally deserved that last sentence, and I didn't mean to make it sound personal. They're six years younger than me, so I guess I was too old to ever get their appeal (although I really don't think they woulda appealed to me as a small kid either--I was pretty jaded though). But I really think even as children's entertainment everything they've done has been SOO subpar, I don't think they have ANY talent--in anything, acting, designing, as personalities, even superficial things (they were ugly babies, and ugly teens and ugly adults as awful as that makes me sound). I just *don't* get it.

But I'm glad they've provided you with entertainment ;)

• Members

Ha, no problem. I didnt think it was personal at all.

And come on, at designing? Have you seen Elizabeth+James and The Row? It is a great fashion line of very werable clothing thats still fashionable, and got them a lot of critical praise.

And that sucks that you were jaded as a kid. i was always a very happy positive person, like always. i still am too, for the most part.

• Members

Big COmfy COuch was Canadian wasn't it? It was past my time though, but I still see it on Treehouse when I pass by and my nephew is watching (Treehouse is a free, commercial free kids channel here). Polka Dot Door was my Canadian kids memory (oh and Mr Dressup of course).

SFK-0-yep that was the episode. I actually at the time felt so dumb for finding it so scary, cuz even as a kid I knew it was meant to be funny--but have since been happy to find out that many kids were scared too. Although nothign was as bizarrely inapropriately scary as that infamous Punky Brewster episode. *shudder*

This blog http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/blogs/sage-francis-blog/how-punky-brewster-traumatized-a-nation/ says it best--with clips, but how anyone thought that would be good for a KIDS SITCOM is beyond me--it's creepier than any episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark and other kid horror things :P

Coulier's show looks beyond weird... Who on earth was it aimed at?

And yes, Dobie was fine I always thought... Of course the show itself (based on the films) was partly inspired by, and then later helped inspire later versions, the Archie comics--and was direct inspiration for Scooby Doo (Ruby/Spears, the team that created Scooby for Hannah/Barbera and Fred Silverman, have admitted as much--ironically Scoobywas created when Fred wanted a rival to the then very popular new Archie cartoon show--another teenager show that would feature songs, which is why early Scooby always had those great chase song moments--soon after the Archie people teamed up with the Scooby crew to create Josie and the Pussycats which kinda mixed both together).

And AMCHistory--you're one of my fave posters, but I laughed out loud when you called the actor a delinquent. I don't think I've heard that word used except in films that predate the mid 70s... ;)

• Members

Here's the Facts of Life classic (I admit for the most part I wasn't as intereste din the show once Chloris Leechman came on, but some episodes stand out). But you do get George Clooney! And I forgot about Mackenzie Astin (who for some reason stayed on when Mrs Garrett left...) who I oddly had a crush on. I guess as a kid I liked the kinda reddy/blond guys. Hrmm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Zri0hNCIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lA39A2G_k0

Archived