AMC articles, interviews, behind the scenes

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember I was posting at Soap Opera Central at the time, and there were quite a few of us there feeling battle worn from the influx of models that were being cast on this show (Ryan, Raquel #1, Kit Fisher). So when yet another model was cast in a role named "Leo" (AMC was trend-happy back then, also opening SOS to follow the "Latin Explosion" trend of 1999 as well as naming "Leo duPres" coincidentally during Leo DiCaprio's thrust into A-list status), I remember being not thrilled. At all. Then, I remember his scenes with Derek in the hospital exam room after this shooting and was amazed at how natural he was. I was expecting the typical, wooden "Whew! Thank GOD I'm remembering these lines" delivery most (if not all) these models give their first few months (or, in Denise Vasi's case -- YEARS) on a soap.

• Members

I felt the same way at the time, and he was being put into that mess with Forbes March Scott and Becca and so on and I wasn't exactly thrilled with their casting choices for most of their roles. He clicked right off the bat, and had such an easy chemistry with everyone.

I also remember laughing at Vanessa saying, when he staggered in, "Oh, my God, what is my SON doing here?" right on time for Palmer to take the bullet. Not exactly subtle writing there...

The early Vanessa/Leo/David stuff was great.

• Members

Thanks for posting! What a treat.

I would love to learn more about the show post 1975 when the original stories (Chuck/Tara/Phil, Erica leaving PV to become a model, Joe/Ruth's Love story, Phoebe/Charles/Mona, the trials and tribulations of Anne Tyler) were coming to a conclusion, an the show was transforming from the "small town world" stories, to a bigger scale stories (specifically with the introductions of the Cortlandts and more Center City-centric stories).

I wonder if viewers really felt the change in tone. The ratings really began to shoot-up at this point, but it also lead to the trend of relaying more on big plot events (like the Cortlandt Masquerade) and not the characters for storyline.

• Members

Well.the move to an hour was the first change which allowed/required extra characters that were not part of the core that had sustained the show sincew the debut..That was when Devon and Ellen were introduced etc. Then when the Cortlandts came along, the decision was made to write out Tara,Phil, Ann,Paul,Jeff,Linc and Kelly so the Tylers and Martins were severely depleted .

Cliff Warner was originally a recast for Jeff Martin so iy would have been Jeff/Nina and the Martins would have been part of this.

• Members

I'm not 100% sure on some of the actors but the original characters were basically:

Joe Martin

Kate Martin

Jeff Martin

Tara Martin

Bobby Martin

Ruth Brent

Ted Brent

Phil Brent

Charles Tyler

Phoebe Tyler

Chuck Tyler

Lincoln Tyler

Amy Tyler

Anne Tyler (though I'm not sure if she was there at the beginning)

Nick Davis (same; he and Anne might have been introduced later on)

Mona Kane

Erica Kane

I know some sites list some other random characters who were probably recurring characters at the hospital or with the high school crowd.

Archived