AMC articles, interviews, behind the scenes

• Members

As far as I can remember, Charles Van Eman was out as Charlie by Winter 1991--when I started watching. Certainly I knew nothing about the character until he came back as Lawford. I *hated* Lawford from the get go--he just always seemed smug and, well, cheezy, and I remember some family friends we had who had watched AMC with their mother far longer saying how horrified they were by the recasting, as they found the Charlie before really hot (which Lawford certainly wasn't...)

Was Michael Brainard the Joey/Jake that returned for the 25th anniversary week? That's all I knew about earlier Jakes...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, and it was a scene btw him and MEK where we got the line about Liza living in Springfield. :P I'm not saying this for obvious reasons, but he was imo very much in the spirit of the true Joey Buchanan character. He would have been a great Joey on OLTL. The way he handled the whole Emily Ann situation, his inherent goodness, he would have really hit the mark in a grown up Chris McKenna kind of way, not at all a drip.

• Members

I loved when Joey and Tad used to be standing behind Joe and Ruth in the Falling Pictures opening. Then it was just Joey, then just Joe and Ruth. I actually think RPG and Tad work well off of one another though it does fall into schtick. MEK and MB also had a great rapport but it was less presentational.

It's funny because in that scene where ALL of those people first bust into Joe and Ruth's house, I thought a good lot of them were extras! Like, I didn't remember Nancy for example when I was a little kid, I remembered Greg and Jenny but not Enid, et cetera. I don't think Nancy got a line, did she? I know Enid and Tad had a bitter little exchange which was great, I think he called her on Greg being such a stranger.

• Members

Was Nancy Jesse's aunt, the show's first black female character? Perhaps they brought her back to acknowledge what she'd helped pave the way for. Is the actress still alive? I wish they could have her on sometimes, along with Pat Baxter.

• Members

:o :o :o

How can anyone not remember Enid!?! She is in my top ten soap characters of all time!

Charles Van Eman...I remember thinking he was incredibly handsome, and he was the Charlie that had a thing for Erica I think. I liked him more than Christopher Lawford.

Pat Baxter...I actually remember her perpetually mad husband more. She was nice and understanding...that's all I remember about her. Nancy I vaguely remember too, but again, all that comes to mind is she was nice and understanding.

• Members

I wish Enid and her group still existed in Pine Valley (is the actress still around?)

Yes Nancy Grant was Jesse's aunt. Her and Frank were arguably the first major black couple on daytime--there's lotsa chat from Agnes in All Her Children about giving them a story that's not based on race, etc (back in 1976)

• Members

IMDB doesn't have much for her. Poor Natalie, I think they got her mixed up with someone else :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0743716/

I've read a bit about Nancy and Frank, and some interviews with the actress. There was also a lot of interesting behind the scenes stuff, as they were married and divorced in real life weren't they? There's a photo of them in a 1980 issue where her hair is greying. It's very refreshing. Sadly I guess this means she was on her way to being phased out...

• Members

Wow, thanks Carl for posting some great stuff. As a I read through these, I will give my commentary.

If you have anymore scans from Episodes, they will be greatly appreciated. Early 90's AMC is like the "golden period," in my eyes. It was when I was most stuck on it. Episodes had nice glossy pages so things also scan beautifully. Also pictures of Candice, Richard VV, Trent and Paige from that time are quiet the premium.

Man, this whole thread is like a dream for me. I am so excited to see what comes next!

• Members

Here is a great article about Susan's home from People Magazine: http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20108241,00.html

If you download the issue (for free) you can see the interior pages with photos as well: http://www.people.com/people/archive/issue/0,,7566940530,00.html

I love that people does this type of archiving. What I would PAY for SOD to do it too...

Archived