AMC: New Opening

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's good. It could be better or worse, but it's all right. I don't like the constant flashes of the title or the big bold letters. They could have just framed the primary clips with a thin white border to give off a "snapshot" look, and the background could have included some kind of scribbled writing on a scrapbook fading in and out with the various location shots (which I like).

Oh, and the beginning is SO blah. I'm guessing when it debuts, the teaser is going to cut to the opening instead of fade to black then fade in on the opening, and so in that context, it'll work. They took the littler guitar twang from the beginning too, so maybe they'll have some kind of lead-in music over the final seconds of the teaser going into ERICA KANE, BITCHES!!!! The shot of Erica, Binks, and Kendall at the end is so random. Who is they smiling at, what is they laughing at? It's reminds me of GH's Menagerie of Men.

I do like the title card, but I'd like it better if we saw more of the photo album theme throughout the opening. And yes, I had the silly assumption that Phoebe, Myrtle, and Palmer (and Mona, somehow) would live on forever in those 42 seconds, so them not being there is kinda :(

But it's all right. I got tired of the old one years ago, so a change was needed.

ETA: Okay, okay, two more critiques. I wish they could have changed that damn music to something slightly slower (get rid of that wannabe-rawk guitar at the end!), and also, is cramming everyone into one shot a cost-saving measure? If it is, I'm cool with that, but if they could afford it, I wish they'd split the cast up.

Oh, and Jake and Brot look out of place without their ladyfriends in there.

• Members

My first impression was "Wow!" but after reading everyone elses' thoughts, I have to agree that I'd prefer they kept a few photos of the former cast like Phoebe and Palmer. It does seem odd that the pages of the book are blank instead. Still, I can't wait to see it on my HD TV!

• Members

I may be totally off-base with this but AFAIK it just takes a few hours on Final Cut Pro to make something like that, hardly a massive investment, especially since the visuals are just cut from the show itself. And as far as making two openings, I'd say it's cheaper to make one, since any changes to the visual would involve the same amount of editing, and you have two openings, which means double the initial investment.

• Members

And that is what I hate the most (ok, not really, but it really grates me)... Annie's main picture is beautiful, except you can barely register it bc it zooms on by. All the while, nuMarissa gets wayyyy too long of a shot. I just don't like the Annie/JR/Colby transition - the mind can barely register it, and that sucks.

I also think Brot's is far too long for his backburner character (although I'd love to see more of him).

• Members

I don't watch AMC, but even I know that AMC is recognized by that photo album. The fact you only see a brief glimpse of it at the end and the words "All My Children" are no longer on the cover, is my main reason for not liking it. This opening gives AMC no identity, looks too generic and cheap for me.

Archived