Worst Wedding : JT/Mac Y&R

Best Wedding: Barbara/Henry ATWT

Most Disappoint Finale: ATWT

Most Disappointing Show: OLTL

Most Improved Show: AMC

Best Show: General Hospital

Here's From the Bonus Section of SOD:

Best Breakup: Nick and Phyllis, Y&R

Since Nick could never quite let go of ex-wife Sharon, his marriage to Phyllis was always on somewhat shaky ground. Still, through nearly five years of ups (plenty of hot sex) and downs (his infidelity with Sharon, resulting in Faith), "Phick" was able to hang tough and established a strong and vocal fan following. But last July, after Nick ran off for the umpteenth time to rescue Sharon, Phyllis finally realized that all her forgiving, crying, cajoling, tantrums and ultimatums were not going to make her the top priority in her hubby's life. When Nick assumed his wife would take him back again, Phyllis, in a heartbreaking but empowering scene, summoned the strength to declare, "I'm not going to spend the rest of my life loving someone who doesn't love me," sending Nick on his way — for good. It was a potent, satisfying end to a passionate roller coaster ride.

Worst Return: Kelly, OLTL

We've loved portrayer Gina Tognoni since she originated Kelly in 1995, but just because the actress was available after her GL run as Dinah doesn't mean OLTL should have brought her back without a solid plan. Since Kelly's February return to Llanview, she's been scattered everywhere across the canvas except in a story that works. Tognoni is as appealing as ever, but her winning performance can't right the wrongs the show has committed against Kelly, first testing her chemistry with Todd and John (which made no sense considering their respective romances with Téa and Natalie are so popular), saddling her with a ho-hum love interest in Reed and putting her and Rex in more accidentally naked situations than we can count on one hand. Even the murder of her mother, Melinda, had little emotional impact. Our fingers are crossed that the return of Joey gives Kelly a solid direction in 2011.

Best Family: The Hubbards, AMC

Another year, another victory for 2009's top clan, the Hubbards. Whatever challenges they faced in 2010 — and pregnant Angie's blindness-by-infection certainly qualifies as a biggie — they faced together and were stronger for it. Making other soap families' conflicts seem mighty petty by comparison, even the Hubbards' occasional squabbles are in the service of becoming an even tighter unit, as when Angie pushed Jesse to realize that his little girl, Natalia, isn't so little anymore, and when Natalia inserted herself squarely in Frankie's business upon detecting that he was getting a little too close to Madison (Frankie's a married man, after all). Heck, Jesse and Angie are Nat and Frankie's bosses, respectively, and they all still get along. There's no question that 2011's Luckiest Newborn is the little girl bun in Angie's oven.

Most Boring Character: Chance, Y&R

John Driscoll portrayed GL's stand-up Coop with winning charm and a sweet sex appeal, but these very qualities (you know, the ones Y&R probably hired him on account of) didn't translate very well to Y&R's stalwart Phillip "Chance" Chancellor, IV. There was so much potential in his pedigree, what with feisty Nina as a mom and temperamental Jill as a grandmother, but Chance never developed past his stoic Dudley Do-Right persona, even when he fell for firecracker Chloe. (It says a lot that when they hooked up, she became more docile instead of him becoming less so!) Pairing Chance in a sparkless affair with Heather was another misstep. By the time he was shipped off to Witness Protection, we were sad for Nina but kinda relieved for ourselves.

Worst Breakup: Bianca and Reese, AMC

Bianca finally kinda, sorta got the girl back in 2009, when she withdrew her petition to annul her marriage to Zach-smooching Reese and they retreated to Paris with their two daughters, Miranda and Gabrielle, to work on their union. Cut to 2010: Bianca (in the form of solid recast Christina Bennett Lind) returned to Pine Valley solo, brightly insisting that everything was fine with the wife but ultimately admitting that they were separated. By denying us for so long the story of what went wrong between Binks and Reese, to say nothing of not letting it play out before our eyes, AMC also denied us any genuine insight into Bianca's emotional life, diluting the efficacy (read: the point) of bringing her back. As one of daytime's best-loved characters (and, yes, its lone lesbian), Bianca's love life deserved far more careful consideration.

• Members

Was Chloe ever a "firecracker"? At best she was a half-lit sparkler that occasionally flared. I think it's telling that her character has continued to slump even without him, and that the much-hyped Chloe/Ronan amounted to him using her for a booty call.

Best Story -- so they stopped watching it about 2 months ago.

Since Kelly's February return to Llanview, she's been scattered everywhere across the canvas except in a story that works.

Hello 1996! Hello 1997! Hello 1998! And so on. This is Kelly. The main reason for her return not working is the character -- in 15 years they have never give her any motivation. I find it hard to believe that a romance with Reed that was over in about a week was a deficit.

Best Returns: ATWT

Best Short Term Returns: David, OLTL

I am certainly happy they brought John Dixon back and had Lucinda get a happy ending, and I thought Abigail's return was well done, but otherwise ATWT made no effort with returns and did not deserve to be mentioned.

David's returns were pathetic and just put a big red flag over how pointless the character has become, IMO. Especially the one where he was there solely to get Kim out of town.

• Members

Agree with the AMC ones, although the honor for ''Most Improved Show'' must have been when Broderick was Head Writer.

Why didn't they have ''Most Entertaining Character''?

That honor surely would have gone to my spicy little vixen - Annie Novak Chandler! :)

Oh IA! I nominate Annie for Most Entertaining Character

I love that they declared Eden Riegel as the worst recast. She sucks!

• Members

It's always gratifying when one's favourite couples are both mentioned on this list in positive ways. That makes me smile. biggrin.gif

Interesting bit on Michael as worst kept secret. I haven't read the actual magazine yet to see their rationale, but from where I'm sitting if it's about keeping the secret then GH has done a bang-up job. None of the characters knows what happened and even the audience has been left to speculate, so that means the mechanics of this secret are far better than other soap secrets which are spilled within seconds and held over the head of the character for years. If it's content, then aren't the jumping the gun since we still don't know what happened? If it's most disturbing secret, then just call it that.

• Members

It's always gratifying when one's favourite couples are both mentioned on this list in positive ways. That makes me smile. biggrin.gif

Interesting bit on Michael as worst kept secret. I haven't read the actual magazine yet to see their rationale, but from where I'm sitting if it's about keeping the secret then GH has done a bang-up job. None of the characters knows what happened and even the audience has been left to speculate, so that means the mechanics of this secret are far better than other soap secrets which are spilled within seconds and held over the head of the character for years. If it's content, then aren't the jumping the gun since we still don't know what happened? If it's most disturbing secret, then just call it that.

Ironicaly, their pick for best kept secret should have been worst. WTF in their right mind actually think Rex's paternity was the best? That thing has been rewritten, retconned and been made into such a mess for years. Thats a secret I wish the show would just give up and let die, but they feel the need to constantly change up who his parents are.

• Members

Ironicaly, their pick for best kept secret should have been worst. WTF in their right mind actually think Rex's paternity was the best? That thing has been rewritten, retconned and been made into such a mess for years. Thats a secret I wish the show would just give up and let die, but they feel the need to constantly change up who his parents are.

Wasn't Bo in the running for awhile? That would have been the best way to go rather than Mitch. Being a Buchanan Rex could pull equally from ruthless and heroic genes. What does being a Lawrence get him?

• Members

Wasn't Bo in the running for awhile? That would have been the best way to go rather than Mitch. Being a Buchanan Rex could pull equally from ruthless and heroic genes. What does being a Lawrence get him?

Yep, we were once led to believe Bo was a potential father as well as a whole list of other men they teased including Spencer Truman, Jackie, Snoop Dogg, David Vickers, RJ, Cain Rogan. His potential mothers included Roxy, Paige, Lily and now its allegedely Echo. Rex's retconned paternity rivals John Black on Days but Rex seems worse considering this all happened within a span of 4 years.

• Members

Unfortunately as long as JPL is in the role the only thing Rex will pull is a stinkface.

• Members

Is it the worst kept secret, or just the worst secret?

I thought Michael in prison was a good story, and it started going into territory not normally seen on daytime soaps. The problem is GH seems to be scared of its own stories and now rather than saying just what it is that happened to Michael, he has conveniently gotten over his trauma and found an understanding woman. He is healed, therefore there is no need to ever mention his secret again. That makes it the worst secret for me: they forgot about it. If GH is scared of man on man rape in prisons, then no one forced them to write about it. But since they did, I think they should go with it.

• Members

I thought Michael in prison was a good story, and it started going into territory not normally seen on daytime soaps. The problem is GH seems to be scared of its own stories and now rather than saying just what it is that happened to Michael, he has conveniently gotten over his trauma and found an understanding woman. He is healed, therefore there is no need to ever mention his secret again. That makes it the worst secret for me: they forgot about it. If GH is scared of man on man rape in prisons, then no one forced them to write about it. But since they did, I think they should go with it.

I don't think Michael has gotten over it at all, but I do agree that GH starts something then doesn't follow through. Frustrating that.

• Members

Michael hasnt gotten over anything. Just last week he lashed out at Abby. Boy has some deep rooted anger in him which stems from what happened to him. It hasnt been swept under the rug and he still struggles with it

• Members

Yep, we were once led to believe Bo was a potential father as well as a whole list of other men they teased including Spencer Truman, Jackie, Snoop Dogg, David Vickers, RJ, Cain Rogan. His potential mothers included Roxy, Paige, Lily and now its allegedely Echo. Rex's retconned paternity rivals John Black on Days but Rex seems worse considering this all happened within a span of 4 years.

Let's not forget Soap Weekly had Sonny Corinthos in the running as well.

Archived