Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Maybe I am becoming too socially conscious for my own good but did noone at Y&R pick up at the connotations of having a scene featuring a white woman hassling a black woman about touching/seeing her hair even after being told no?
 I know in context it made sense but that's a weird way to accidentally mimic a pretty common real-life microaggression without a trace of self-awareness

• Members

No one on the writing staff, absolutely not. Victoria Rowell was the only advocate for Dru's blackness. And they quickly demonized her for it. Still do.

I really hate the way male characters spoke to women back then. Are Dru and diane being a bit unprofessional? This happened a lot back then, especially scenes with Dru or Phyllis, some man would enter the room and scold them like children.

• Members

Christine & Michael! What do you guys think about this, and what was the general concensus back then? I think this would be controversial given that he attempted to rape her, reminds me of when OLTL's Todd & Marty almost got together, minus the amnesia.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I thought it was so, so wrong back then; and I think it was so, so wrong now.

Agree.  But it didn't ruin just Christine.  I think it ruined Paul as well.  In fact, I think the rape made it much easier for the show to marginalize him to the point where he's never seen or even mentioned today, which is a shameful thing to do to a character that was so front-burner BITD.

• Members

Christine being a procecutor and going against Sharon, Victoria, Nikki, and Phyliss for killing JT also didnt help. She used to stabd up for the abused now she's percecuting them. This is similar to Molly on GH procecuting Trina.

If Michael Baldwin had he retained his edgyness he would have been a better DA, if they kept him as an outsider charachter.

• Members

That storyline was part of Michael's redemption arc from villain to anti-hero. Christine and Michael should not have been placed in each other's orbit romantically after the sexual harassment/attempted rape from a decade earlier. 

On a totally shallow note though, CLB glowed up in 2002. That's another glow up we have LLB to thank for 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by kalbir

• Members

This may have been during one of my many quasi-breaks from daytime, so I have never really seen this stuff and I don’t think I really want to see that kiss, tbh.

I know that there was a time when Christine wasn’t many people’s cup of tea but she had some interesting face offs with Phyllis that began with her marriage to Danny into her relationship with Paul.
I was never a big Christine/Paul fan but but I do agree that having a marital rape scene and then trying to backtrack it as a generic “He Said/She Said story diminished her character and pretty much destroyed Paul. After that story, Paul’s days of being a leading man character were pretty much over and his days of being a viable character were numbered.

Paul didn’t need to be front burner but after that very unfortunate story, he seemed to slip even further down the chain to “talk to” to nonentity.

Edited by DramatistDreamer