All: Rate the Soaps

• Members

Its been a while since this was done. How would you rate the current soaps?

Days: A-

The show is on FIRE right now. Anyone that isnt watching should. I love how they balance the cast and story and they really have a good handle on that. The show is also doing a good job at showcasing its vets, something others arent. The only downpoint on the show is the Hope in jail story. Hate that one. Other than it, everything is pretty damn good. The Chloe pregnancy is reaching its climax and its been filled with unpredictable twists and secrets and you know thats going to be good when it hits the fan. Maggie and Victor continue to be like the best pairing in daytime; something odd for characters 60+. The buried alive story has been hilarious and hasnt gotten old. Overall very impressed with the show right now

OLTL: B-

OLTL is in a weird state now as its in a transitional period. Some of its biggest storylines just ended and that was the Eli drama and the role he played in several characters lives. Horrible storyine but the payoff made for some good tv. Echo's return has been surprisingly better than I expected. Unfortunately its turning into a rewriting mess by weaving it into Rex's never ending paternity quest. I really hate the direction the story is going in. The twin's DNA drama seems interesting enough and psycho Marty is more entertaining than she's been since Haskell returned to the role. The Fords however suck and they take up too much time. Inez is the worst but her raggedy sons arent much better. The show has potential, but its making too many mistakes

B&B: C+

Finally they are using Amber. She continues to be annoying but she is good like this. The upcoming Thomas/Brooke story has potential to be very exciting if they actually go there. The reactions from Ridge, Taylor and Stephanie will defeintly be worth it. Love Felicia back but they really need to give her something to do. Actually alot need to be given something as the show doesnt balance its cast well at all. Right now itsokay. Not great, but not horrible.

AMC: C

One of the leading stories has been the Chandler quad but with Scott, gone its kinda stalled. Not much progress going on with Annie and JR and Marissa continues to be an unappealing waste of space. This custody mess just isnt interesting. I think Ive also lost interest in the Asher/Caleb story bc of how convoluted and inconsistent its been. This story would be so much better with Adam around bc he obviously feels like the missing link. Ryan and Greenlee? Who cares? The upcoming Jake and Amanda story seems interesting enough but Jake can ruin that before it even begins. I think Id enjoy the Angie/Jessie stuff more of they werent still trying to make David out to be the villian thats the reason behind all their problems. They lose rooting value there

Y&R: D-

To be honest, its so bad that I dont even watch it anymore. I used to watch at least the first half before AMC but I cant even do that anymore bc it bores me to death and the way the characters are written infuriates me. I think its definetly the worst soap on the air

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Almost agreed with you about DAYS, though I don't quite find the show to being "on fire" these days. Maggie/Victor are the best thing right now along with everyone else surrounding them. I love the whole Kiriakis family. Vivian buried alive was very funny but I really wish that Carly could have been integrated into that story somehow. I wanted to see Carly get a little revenge on Vivian and totally mock her while she was inside that coffin like she did to her. But oh well. Chloe's pregnancy story definitely had a lot of twists and turns and there were times that I was totally loving it and totally hating it. Right now I am hating it thanks to Melanie. I just don't understand why she hasn't told Daniel about Chloe cheating on him yet. This is just being dragged out way to much. But it's one of those things where I know I'll be loving it once again when everything starts to come out at once (which hopefully won't be to far from now). Sami/Rafe/EJ are the worst part of this show. No reason to go in-depth with that. Biggest thing to look forward to for me is Stefano finding out Chad is his son and anything that comes after that!! I give DAYS a B-.

B&B is the best soap on the air IMO. I am loving it so much. I have only been watching since June and I am hooked. Stephanie's cancer storyline is fantastic right now. Thomas/Brooke is shaping up to be so good and I can't wait to see how things turn out. I love the new character of Dayzee and I'm looking forward to her and Marcus possibly being more. Amber is crazy and I love her antics, though I'd rather the show do something with her & Rick. Jackie and Owen have fallen off the face of the earth and have been M.I.A for like 3 weeks but I'm still kind of looking forward to them and seeing more of their story with Bridgette (if its even still happening lol). Hopefully Rick has lost his obsession with Jackie, though. Hope/Oliver/Liam frustrate me a LOT. Once Steffy gets back you just know that'll turn into a quad and Liam will turn to her with Oliver and Hope getting closer. I give B&B an A overall.

For me, GH should be abbreviated "GN" for General Naptime because thats exactly what it is for me. This show is just BORING. It's the same old repetitive stuff day in and day out. I don't even know what to say about it! There are some good parts, but there's no reason to even mention those because they come rarely and are overshadowed by anything Balkin/Sonny/Jason/Carly/Brenda related. GH is just embarrasing. I give it an F-.

AMC...Ryan/Greenlee are the biggest problem right now. It really frustrates me how the show keeps putting these two back together. I was reading SOD this morning and I ran across a quote by Donna Swajeski and she said, "We hear over and over, 'When are Ryan and Greenlee going to get back together?'" Seriously? From who?! ugh! It is just so sickening. I am totally dreading their reunion. No one wants these two back together and I wish they would realize that and stop this nonsense. As for the rest of the show, I feel overall it's pretty solid. JR/Annie are the best and I like the pace the show is going with them. Marissa is annoying but I'm hoping after the custody battle is over the show will do something different with her. Do not want to see her with JR again. Everyone knows I love Kendall and I've expressed over and over my problem with the shows writing for her right now. But anytime she's on I still enjoy her and I'm so glad to have AM back. Knowing whats to come for her in upcoming weeks, I'm looking even more forward to whatever they'll do with Kendall in the future. Angie's storyline has suddenly found itself sitting pretty in the backburner which I'm bummed about. She and Jessie were only on once last week. I enjoyed it though. I hope things pick up with them and we get to see more. I hate both Caleb and Asher but once things started heating up with them last week I've been a bit excited for whats to come. I can't wait for Amanda and Jake's new storyline and I'm being cautiously optimistic about all of it. I think it will be good....AMC isn't bad, to me it's just very limp and could use some work. It has more good moments these days than it does bad. The show has kind of gone back to basics & we've been seeing a lot of classic soap elements. But with that we also get Frons components mixed in and it steers the whole show off course and makes it look really bad to people. For a while this year there was a point where we got none of that! Very frustrating....overall I give AMC a B.

• Members

Haha, GH is so boring, that I forgot to rate it! I would give it a D+. They literally hit the reset button and rebooted the Lisa/Scrubs and Claire/Sonny storyyline's back to the state they were in in the summer. The Balkan stuff is beyond terrible. Its dragging and not interesting. Siobhan sucks. Luke trying to scam Tracy into marrying out of love sucks. The couples, JaSam, Lulu/Dante, Carly/Jax....boring. Liz's return...can she leave again?. Nik and Brook...who caress? Brenda's return has been one big fail. And why are we still on the car bomb? Can we move on already? Actually the only good part of the show right now is Michael and stripper Abby. They have the best scenes and actuall feel refreshing

• Members

Days I give a B.

I love Vivian and all her little pals, but once you start getting away from them the show starts to weaken.

The EJ/Sami nightmare continues apace, for something like the fourth year running. It's old. It was tired two years ago. If I never hear the word "sydney" again it will be too soon. I don't care if EJ finds proof who shot him. I not only don't see any high stakes in this, I don't see even a single stake. Which brings us to Nicole. Sydney again??? Really? They want her back in that vortex of suck???

Chad is a potential bright spot slightly down the road.

• Members

OLTL- B

Ive been enjoying the Echo storyline. It doesnt really bother me about the timeline. Its not terrible. Also enjoying evil Marty even though Im a Natalie fan. Susan Haskell rocks when shes playing this kind of character. Otherwise shes extremely boring. Soo happy TnT are reunited! The show overall isnt bad but its not great either.

GH- C-

Im actually still enjoying the Patrick/Robin/Lisa storyline. Im happy its still on. I know a lot of people here think its dragged on too long, its better than the Balkan crap and its not mob related at all. I hate what they did to Claire. Its just painful to watch her now. I hope some of these storylines hurry up and end. Can Lucky just find out already that Aidens his child and not Nikolas'. I keep forgetting since its been soooooo long. And bring Franco back so that storyline can come to a close.

• Members

DAYS: C

Victor/Maggie are great. Can't stand the Sami/EJ/Rafe storyline. The Chloe/Daniel/Melanie storyline had potential but has been wasted. I can't stand that Philip has been used as a prop in the storyline considering he's the father and all. Melanie's annoying as [!@#$%^&*]. Having said that, the show can easily turn it around. It's not as bad as it has been recently. I've noticed Higley's gone back into hiding which makes me think Whitesell has more control right now. The best thing they could do is cut the hack writer Higley.

• Members

AMC: A- I thoroughly enjoy the show. I do agree that its seems like TPTB are trying to force Ryan & Greenlee down our throats. I think their ship has already sailed and I preferred Greens with David. I like the new additions and I can't wait for Lindsay Hartley to start.

B&B: A This is the best B&B has been in ages. I like how they are making Jackie M more like Spectra and I think they have a really good "next" generation in place.

DAYS: C- Days is in a really weird place for me. The show is all over the place to me and its really boring. I am just thrilled it will be on until at least September 2013.

GH: C Brenda's return has been a mess. I was so excited for her to come back but it has been very disappointing so far. The only great thing about GH right now is Robin/Patrick/Lisa. I love Jonathan Jackson but his storyline sucks too.

OLTL: B OLTL is very inconsistent but I am really enjoying it lately. The Eli storyline was a convoluted disaster but I really like the Ford Brothers. Kim Zimmer being on the show hasn't gelled for me yet. Not sure what I think about the latest Rex paternity story.

Y&R: C I have never been the biggest fan of this show but I have watched it on and off for years. The only real bright spot for me is Billy Miller. I love him.

• Members

I am just going to rate the two I watch every day. Y&R and GH. I only watch OLTL and B&B once a week(ish) and haven't seen days since July.

GH D+ The show is really a mess right now. Patrick/Lisa/Robin is still pretty good, I guess. I still am under the opinion that when Lisa went away to Shady BRooke she shouldn't have come bacck for a few months. It was all to rushed. They definitely botched the entire Sonny/Claire angle. They made her pathetic and unstable and even though they have good chemistry, it's just too dumb for words to watch. Brenda is a big bust. I don't care about the Balkan, sorry. There is no reason for this. All it has done is brought Brenda back. And that just wasn't enough. She has little to no chemistry with Sonny anymore. And we are supposed to believe Sonny is the great love of her life, when last time all we heard was how Jax was the only one for her. Dumb. I personally have enjoyed the Lucky/Siobhan angle of the story far more. But still, not all that intriguing.

Brook was brought bacck and went from being on all the time in a front burning storyline with Carly/Dante/Lulu and all the sudden Brook confesses and the whole thing is dropped. Brook and Nik have good chem with each other, but the story is lame. We watched them prepare for a party for a month, then never got to see the party. Now she just pops up once in awhile for a scene or two. There is so much potential there. She has GREAT chemistry with Jane Elliot, and their bickering is great. The show should have focused on her as a Quartermaine. I mean she would still probably only get 3 appearances a month as a Q, but that's all she's getting now anyway. At least then we could have seen her fighting with Tracy and being a little trouble maker.

Alexis never gets a story. She pops up like twice a month to talk to Nikolas. She hardly has scenes with her kids, or Diane anymore. Her entire part in the Keifer story was dropped and she hasn't had anything to do since.. Her daughter was just involved in Brenda killing a man, yet she didn't bother checking in on her. Krissy is still seriously messed up, yet we never got an Alexis and Krissy in therapy scene. Lame.

Then of course there's the blatant overuse of Sonny, Carly, Dante and Jason. Sam being nothing but a prop who has no personality or storyline. And of course the blatant underuse of Monica, Bobbie, Edward, Tracy, Lesley, Mac, and even to a smaller degree Steven (who has a lot of history with the show, despite being a new actor.) Lame, lame lame.

Y&R A- I am positive I am going to get shot for this one, but I am enjoying this show more than any of the others at the moment. I am loving that Vicky is finally standing up to Victor. I have been a fan of Marcy Rylan as Abby since the beginning, and I like the sister dynamic that she has with Vicky.

Maura West has really been impressing me as Diane. She has been playing everything they give her very, very well. I like the dynamic with Phyliss and Jack and I am excited to see what she really has up her sleeve. I am really enjoying NuNoah and he has mad chem with Jana. So I want to see where that goes. Love Daniel/Abby.

Nikki's drinking! LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Wow. MTS is killing every scene and I feel like I'm right there with her every time. There is mad chemistry between her and Deacon, and I am loving that angle, because I think Deacon really cares about her. Plus I really love Meggie, and Sean Young is a brilliant find. I have loved the Nikki/Victor/Meggie angle. And now I'm loving the Nikki/Victor/Meggie/Deacon angle as well.

Some things I'm less excited about. Jeffrey and Kevin's embezzelment thing. I don't even really get it. Daisy being back. WTF? That overly happy son of Jack. The actor is cute, but him being SO much younger than Abby, when they were conceived in the storyline, is befuddling to me. Nick/Sharon/Adam. I'm sorry, but all three of these characters are just done. Nick is so played out. He just goes back and forth between Phyliss and Sharon over and over, and it just makes him annoying. And he's so whiny. Sharon...eh. I don't think Sharon Case is all that great of an actress. I'm sick of her and nick. And the fact that Sharon would even consider being with Adam? I lost even more respect for her. And Adam should have stayed dead. PERIOD. The only thing good about Adam's return is that he brought Skye with him.

• Members

DAYS: A- (I am loving the show right now. I am hoping we will be getting EJole redux soon, loving Victor/Maggie, and can't wait for the fallout for the Chloe/Daniel/Philip/Stephanie/Nathan/Melanie/Carly mess, which has been paced horribly, but can't wait for the reveal.)

OLTL: B (It has been getting really good, and I am genuinely interested again. I am most excited for the Echo Stuff, nuJoey, psycho Marty, and all the fallout from Natalie/Jessica's paternity troubles)

Y&R: D+ (It was getting better, but I am starting to get bored again)

• Members

GH - The cast does what they can with some of the most bizarre and obsessive writing on soaps, and what amounts to someone who drives along the Sopranos bridge, in a Corvette, with the theme song blasting on the best sound system, then, as years go by, slowly but surely ends up sputtering along in a Pinto, muttering what he can no longer remember the words to, on a half-broken 8 track tape.

D+

Y&R - The names of the headwriters say enough -- BS

B&B - Suffocating, as always, and sanctimonious, and terrified of actually doing anything different. I do respect Bradley Bell for clearly still caring about the show, even if he doesn't know how to run a soap, and for doing his best to hang on to Susan Flannery for many years after a lot of other soaps would have shrugged her off. Now if only he knew how to create stories or develop characters. C-

OLTL - After successfully purging themselves of the unmentionables, the show has relied on stunts and more stunts, and a wonderful "let's make this up as we go along and then rewrite a lot of stuff to make it look like this was planned and viewers just didn't see it" mentality. This manages to tarnish your memories of the show's better moments while doing nothing to make you enjoy the present. Yet another paternity rewrite on the back of a decade of paternity rewrites which have done nothing for the show. The Fords are worthless. Dorian exists mostly to sit around and wait for Tuc Watkins to spit out one-liners. They managed to make their teen set go from decent to one of the most annoying on soaps. The constant need to destroy or limit characters by having them revolve around inert, emotionless slugs makes you reluctant to ever invest in any characters. A show that gleefully trashed their future generation has to revolve around a bleached Chia Pet like Rex.

It was nice to see the Evans get a few weeks of story, and Kim Zimmer is doing a good job as Echo, so far managing to avoid the poorly written returns of many others. It's nice to see Jerry ver Dorn utilized, even if I recognize nothing about the character he is playing. It's nice to see more of Susan Haskell. I'm glad the show cut the cord with Cole. I'm glad that Bo and Nora are back together and being written generally true to their characters. I'm glad that the show did not take the easy way out and find an excuse to dump Charlie after Jared was killed.

Until the show stops revolving around dross it will never really change.

C-

• Members

AMC D I don't find any stories that make me feel as though I have to watch the following day.

BB B- Entertaining

DAYS B I've been a long time DAYS fan and have a special sense of loyalty to all things Vivian!

GH D I just don't get it. I loved it ten years ago but was unable to transition with the mob stories.

OLTL B- Many, many problems, but headed in the right direction and I, for one, like the Fords.

YR C My main problem is that there are too many characters; too many I don't care about.

Archived