DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have never gotten Jessica's popularity or Jessica/Josh.  Josh is fine.  First actor is fine.  Second Josh is not nearly as good.  Jessica has always been a drip to me and the DID was just a way to make her more exciting, but she's not.  I don't know if it's Jean Bruce Scott or the writing because on paper Jessica should be an awesome character.

• Members

It does sound like Days was hoping she would be the young ingenue that would bring in the younger viewers and raise the ratings. But it seems like both the acting and the writing, especially under Nina Laemmle, just wasn't there. And once Pat Falken Smith left, there didn't seem to be much interest in Jessica, and Joshua too anymore.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

I feel like Days tried with her.  She got interesting backstory/parents, a decent love interest, and a lot of story.  It might be all the writing/production shifts, but Jessica/JBS never sparked the way the show was hoping or she should have.  I don't blame them for losing interesting.  Jessica wasn't terribly likable.  And Josh was too old for her lol.  Idk, for some reason I think Donna would have been more interesting in Jessica's stories (outside Alex/Marie as parents).  If I recall from beebs recaps there was another character pre-Jessica that they were setting up to be Marie/Alex's daughter and they dropped her, but instead of recasting they created Jessica and gave her the same personality traits and story lol.  I think it's a combo of all these things that was a failure and it's a shame because she should have carried years of story.  But I also think Melissa should have carried years of story and she did, I guess, but it was mostly unmemorable.

• Members

The casting of Jessica was a problem.  Jean Bruce Scott came across as dowdy and depressed-more like the lead ingenue's sensible best friend. And she didn't have ingenue long flowing hair!!

And I found Stephen Brooks too old and dour. He should have been more of a troubled teen/early 20's.

In fact when you look at Nina Leammle's characters Joshua/Liz/Kellam/Maxwell/Tod/Leslie -they were mainly over 30-not really ideal when you are trying to jazz up a show that was already crowded with characters in that age group.

Maxwell could have been way younger-an ambitious right hand man to Kellam. Joshua could have also been younger. Tod and Cassie didn't get much of a look in anyway.

And the two younger Horton's who were popular - David and Mike - were immediately marginalized.

Different casting would have had an effect on how the stories played out and how the audience  responded.

• Members

Dowdy is the perfect word for Jessica and she was a huge stick in the mud.  It's one thing to be sensible, but it's another to be too scared to have fun.  I don't know why these guys were so into her.  Her mother, the NUN, had more sex appeal lol.  I am sure JBS is a lovely woman, but it was bad casting.  It's telling they never really brought Jessica or Josh back (outside making their son a psycho).

I would agree Stephen Brooks was too old.   I didn't think he was too dour.  I liked him.  Granted, most of the Josh stuff I saw with him was via Marlena edits, but he seemed like a decent, likable guy through all the Kellem rape stuff.  That being said, it looked like the show was going to pair him with Marlena not a teenager so it was a lot easier to like him.

It is a strange choice to bring in a bunch of over 30 characters when trying to revive a soap.  And I am not sure why you bring in Kellam as a villian when you already have a similar villian in Alex.

And if you were trying to do a teen scene I don't know why you get rid of Donna.  Donna is annoying af, but we spent years watching her BS while she was the ONLY teen on the canvas and then you bring more people her age on only to dump her.

David/Mike just seem like they have one bungled storyline after another.  Saddling Mike with a dying wife for so long and David having a kid when Julie was about 35 seems all bad.  It's almost like Days was purposely skewing to an older audience.