Another Strike: Would the Soaps Survive?

• Members

I agree with the title card if only for the reason that soap openings have lost their charm and all anyone ever does is complain about how they never get updated. Actually, I would do a teaser-meets-title card, some quick edits of cast shots perhaps borrowed from whatever bumper they had going. Kind of like this:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/9_gy1MGcAGg?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/9_gy1MGcAGg?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/9_gy1MGcAGg?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hell, Erica's pic and the photo album closing would be fine by me. Or just the book by itself.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But I also have to wonder how much freedom are the scabs given? The executives surely must OK everything. So that's why scab/no scab in that sense is all the same.

You can't have Frons' wife telling the head writer who needs to be on All My Children today. And that's what's happening. It doesn't matter if it's McTavish or Pratt when the wife has a preference for certain characters and can manipulate her husband to do her bidding.

• Members

I'd go with Mon - Thu. Friday's aren't big ratings days anymore. Now, that *could* be because people wait to watch their recorded show until after the 24 hours that Nielsen counts but since the trend now is for dailies to drop as the week goes on I'd try to make the most of that.

That's interesting info about the script fees. Yeah, some of these folks are WAY overpaid.

• Members

I would consider just going back to an announcer and a moment of music. A lot of short openings look clunky. The AW opening above always made me think of how many people had been edited out and how they couldn't afford to put in new ones. The GL opening during most of the Rauch years, which was a quick second of the old theme, always reminded me of what the show had once been and I kept waiting for the rest.

I know a lot of people hated it but I kind of liked the opening for GL's 70th anniversary year.

• Members

I think it makes sense. But then Thursday might become the new Friday. No salvation, I guess.

When you see these numbers and compare them to what you see on your TV screen, it seems as if the networks are just throwing the money into the fire: Here's $3000. Now go type down that crap. mellow.gif

In primetime, for 60 minutes or less, you get around $30000 for story + teleplay.

• Members

Perhaps 30 min. would be more cost effective in certain ways, and the subject of "time is money" is a good point you raise. When they still shot sequentially, they could crank out an entire ep a day and everyone would probably be home before dinner time. The current out of sequence format where they get an actor in as few days a week as possible and try to get all of their scenes knocked out means longer days. The thing is, when an actor is paid a day rate, he gets that same pay whether he's there for one hour or eight hours (then overtime kicks in). So hefty weekly guarantees aside for your top players, it can be cost effective to have Hairmodelia Recurring-McNewbie in one day a week and get ALL her stuff out of the way instead of bringing her in for three days. Light bills, energy, anything you rent "by the hour", all that kind of stuff you may save money on in the long haul, but when it comes to your cast and crew working for union rates, you have to sit down and look at where you'll really save your money.

• Members

I think the soaps would do fine:

Y&R: Bell and Sheffer and Cwickly are ficore writers and you can bet they will remain under contract through the next negotiation. They have lots of power and influence and can get scab writers or independent writers in LA to sub.

DOOL: Tomlin, Higly, Ford, Lisanti, Myers are all ficore..Mark Higly will come out of the kitchen to write. Victor Gialanella can come out of retirement..they will have a full team.

GH: Conforti and Wolfe are ficore.

AMC: Brown/Esensten are ficore and while they are scriptwriters now, you can be sure they will be in the story meetings if Kreizman and Swajeski strike. Hope Smith (producer) would probably write. And some of their writers could go ficore this time now that others have done it. Broderick would be a great candidate since she was teaching at a University and had gotten out of the business.

B&B: Bell is the owner and will still oversee the writing. Alden and Smith are ficore.

The only show that will suffer is OLTL. They will have to hire scabs or convince some of their writers to go ficore..which some may do this time around given that OLTL is on the brink of cancellation and many of their current writers have been on soaps for a few decades.

• Members

Probably. Isn't it amazing that companies are getting rich on the web every day and yet there's never any money for creative writing... hmmm..... that seems odd, doesn't it?

I've often pondered the thought: is it because the dramatic arts have been seen as "Entertainment" rather than "Arts and Culture" and thus as a commodity they have had their value reduced?

Archived