Y&R: Melody on Nikki's Drinking

• Members

The thing with business is does it open up stories. Bill Bell had no idea what to do with Katherine for years and Nikki also struggled for story. They managed to revive Katherine's character by going back to her past with Jill, and the later business stories did pretty much nothing for her and was not about her. Nikki, the business stories were generally true to her character and provided more conflicts with the important people in Nikki's life. There's only so much lady of the ranch stuff which can be done. The poor woman had to end up marrying her gyno to get a story.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly.

Nikki grew into this and her character evolved. That's why MTS once again struck me as simple-minded and ignorant because SHE - if she were smart and more than Ed Scott's trophy wife - would have found gazillion points to stand up for Nikki's mature business angle instead of proclaiming "that's just not Nikki - Nikki has to sit at the ranch and pine for her man!?" :rolleyes:

• Members

I do wish that the idea of Nikki not being a housebound diva (I swear she did not leave the ranch from 1993-1995...or she didn't in my mind at the time) wasn't so seen as the ideal, but then, I guess a lot of people do see it that way. I think that type of thing is one of the reasons why Camille Paglia enjoyed the character.

• Members

Actually I think this lasted even longer, probably till 1997 when Nikki was pushed to hit on Josh Landers. She did sometimes leave the ranch 1995 onwards to spout venom at Hope at Victor's penthouse. But this was probably the only thing that ever got her off the rnach in the early 90s...

• Members

She just sounds like she's saying: "Thank God I have a storyline! I was dying here, couldn't take it anymore!

Complete and utter +1. I loved the way they ushered her into business and what it did for the character. It shocks me that she thinks otherwise.

• Members

I like Nikki at home, but running the social scene of GC w/an assistant. After Meggie one of the younger characters should fill this role. I didn't enjoy Nikki in the office because Victor was always there and barking at her.

The woman who needs to get back in the boardroom is Jill. She is the most experienced woman executive on Y&R. She has worked in the top tier of business since when, 1985(?). After 25 years, it was a totally ridiculous that the only job she could get was doing nails after losing her position at Chancellor. I hope the Fenmore connection doesn't doom her to working in the boutique for the rest of her days. Maybe Lauren/Jill as Fenmore Inc. can participate in joint ventures with Jabot, Newman, or Chancellor.

• Members

Oh how I agree. Nikki is far better off running the social scene, she can run it like a business mind you and be in everyone's business and throw events and be lady of the manor. It just suits Nikki so much better.

And yes, Jill needs to get her ass back in some power suits and back in the boardroom. Jess Walton is so believable and so capable. She should absolutely be mixing it up with Jack and Victor and Tucker. She's the only woman on the show who had her own role in business (aside from Heather Tom's Victoria) that's gone on for 25 years. Jill still owns a sizeable chunk of Jabot, that's where she should be. Once an Abbott, always an Abbott.

Archived