Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've only read a little bit, but - I still don't exactly understand why he wouldn't be found guilty of at least harassment.  (I actually don't understand most of it) - if I was working for someone, I guess it's possible to not really know who you work for?  I guess if dirty money is paying you and you don't really know where the money came from?  But you're happy to get paid so you wouldn't care?  I guess I understand that.  But what I don't understand is I've seen where he voluntarily gave advice and expertise on how to effectively harass someone, things to do to make them uncomfortable.  Not any of my business but - I don't know how that make you a great investigator.  There's a difference in doing an investigation and finding someone - as that's what you were tasked to do.  Then once you've found the person - is that part of your job?  To then harass them or basically stalk them?  You found the dude or dude-ette, isn't your job done there?  I feel like someone could totally see that line being crossed.

• Members

This case seems incredibly sketchy to me, in terms of the defenses being mounted. Let’s take the defendants at their words, that they believed they were collecting a debt or seeking recompense for a “theft”— they are hoping to benefit from a loophole, what I suspect has to do with the incredibly lax laws in the U.S. as it concerns debt collection where collectors seemingly are allowed to harass those deemed to be indebted, in some cases, even harassing people who have no debt. It seems like everyone has been “siloed” where no party knew what the others were doing at the team, so there can be a plausible deniability by the people orchestrating this activity. Also, it seems as if the Chinese aren’t the only ones who believe that it’s okay to extend their idea of justice into sovereign nations. Apparently, people in the U.S. now think this is normal. Just last year, I read a news item about a Chinese police outpost operating in NYC undiscovered by the authorities for some time https://www.npr.org/2023/04/17/1170571626/fbi-arrests-2-on-charges-tied-to-chinese-outpost-in-new-york-city local people, mostly Chinese mistakenly believed that it was some sort of cooperation with local police and had no idea it was a breach of sovereignty.

As far as this case is concerned, why wouldn’t someone who had been in law enforcement check to see if their investigation was being conducted in accordance with the state and federal laws? Just sketchy and suspect afaic but I am no legal expert, what’s unethical is not always illegal.

It will be interesting to see how the law is interpreted. If there are indeed loopholes that have been exploited, hopefully they are tightened up by now because it is dangerous to allow uninvited officials claiming to represent law enforcement in to just collar people like this, especially by subterfuge.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

This is exactly what I do not understand.  If you were a police officer wouldn't you be somewhat wary of the "ask" here??  Wouldn't you know - wait, what am I doing?  What's my job here?  Because I think I'm finished.  But I do not think that happened.

And see, this is why I'm sketchy with the police.  They don't know they also have boundaries in MANY instances, and I feel like maybe he thought his status as a retired police meant - basic principles don't apply to me.  Or, I don't need to worry about some basic due diligence because of who I am.