As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Like others mentioned...pam long and Marland would have worked well as co head writers.  He was organized, and disciplined with plot points and character....and she knew how to make each character have their own voice and was good at the emotional writing.

She did well with the Reardons and expanded on the Lewis family on GL (Marland's creations)...so I think she could have written the Snyder's as well...and even maybe the Hughes family too.  

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I feel like Pam Long is one of those writers who is only a good fit for one soap (GL).  Her stints on Santa Barbara and One Life to Live were less than impressive.

I actually think they should have brought over someone like Nancy Curlee or even Millee Taggart.

• Members

I disagree, I think Long was a terrible fit for both SB and OLTL as neither one of them were "family" shows per se.. the first two years of her GL term were great as the Bauers were the center with the other families having their turn..it wasn,t until TPTB interfered that it came apart...and her second tenure on GL she got to straighten some of that out. I think she would have respected the Hughes and would have been really good with Nancy (I thought her writing of Bert was great..matriarch of SF but human and fallible too.) I just would fear she would bring Zimmer ...(imagine Zimmer as a Diana McColl recast....her and Fulton together on screen....either great or diva disaster....)  Co head writing with Curlee would have been great...( I always loved Curlees quote that a poster here uses but she also ammended for soaps in general..."You can scare the hell out of the viewer, throw anything you want at them, as long as they can run out of that dark backyard, run up the porch steps and bang through the screen door and Nancy Hughes is in the kitchen baking cookies."

• Members

I still think Pam Long would have been a good replacement for Marland.  The Snyder's and hughes families would have been up her alley..and I think she would have had a good take on Lucinda.

Her Texas and GL were good...and I've heard her brief stint closing out SFT was decent.  

What did everyone think of Lorraine Broderick?  She had potential, but according to Eileen Fulton...all of her ideas were over ruled..and she was the last writer to feature Lisa (other then the brief 40 and 50 year celebration of her being on the show).

• Members

That Carly/Barb/Craig scene is from 2001, sometime between the BabsCraig marriage in May, and when she was caught in the bomb blast in June. My guess puts it closer to June and right before the explosion.

Broderick's work was up and down. She introduced Julia Lindsey, which is enough to put her name at the top of list to burn in hell. But she also wrote some of the most romantic Carjack stuff, which probably makes her schizophrenic. 

• Members

I absolutely loved Jack's amnesia SL.

2004 was the year I got HOOKED on ATWT.  16 year old me loved the Doc Reese SL, Six Keys to the Kingdom Contest. 

And...is Hannah a pre Grey's Anatomy Sara Ramirez?

• Members

I believe you are correct about Sara Ramirez - she was definitely already in the Broadway world at that point (I think even Spamalot had happened by then?) so she was in NYC.

I love this message board because you see all the different eras in which people get hooked.  I got hooked in Feb of 2000 a few months before Hogan Sheffer arrived. Once he started writing, I became obsessed with ATWT and loved his entire regime up until 2004 when I thought he lost his way.  I'm not a big fan of 2004-2008 ATWT but love that it was when you became hooked and that you love it. I HATED the Jack amnesia SL and quit watching the show at that point other than every once in a while when I'd check in.

It just goes to show that ATWT was always, ALWAYS a cut above many other soaps. We all have "our" time of the show. For all the Sheffer lovers, we hear "He ruined the show! It's not like it was in the 80's"  For all the Marland fans, they hear "He ruined the show! It's not like it was in the 70's!" and so on.  But through it all, Oakdale (and Luther's Corners and Milltown) keeps turning.......

• Members

I didnt think about Long and Lucinda! While Lucinda was polar opposite of Bev/Alex( one was quiet, but could cut you to pieces with a stare..the other was flamboyant and could cut you to pieces with her zingers) they both were powerful, conflicted women who were not the cartoon soap opera rich bitch they turned MarjAlex into.