As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

The show was turning around a little at that time, although that went to pieces by spring '97 when they fired Allyson Rice Taylor and had that bizarre James return. This episode was a little sparse but I did enjoy it. This was right after Valente had been fired so they seemed to be trying to cram in as many family references as possible - I didn't know they even mentioned BIanca by this time. I also liked the scenes with Bob and Nancy. Helen Wagner was so underrated. The Kasnoffs were just dull to me but I did like how they used Mark and Ben to show some of the everyday Christmas activities like the football game.

Dolan started in December 1989.

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

They really did a number on Diego didn't they? From Sam's sexy therapist to Emily's rapist to the international terrorist who "murdered" Damian in a span of a year. I have some Feb 97 eps of the CBS soaps around the time of Diego's murder and during a "Men of CBS Daytime" promo a shirtless Pickett is featured as ATWT's hottie. Ick.

This was right before Holden's return which if I recall right was New Year's '97. Paul and Sara don't seem too bad here, and I liked the little bit at the end there with Connor and Kirk.

Bianca got a mention later on by way of James Stenbeck when confronting Lucinda upon his return.

• Members

What did they say about her then? All that ham is all I remember.

They never had any idea what to do with Diego. Only a month or two into his tenure was when he was revealed as having the affair with Emily, and being Umberto. I can't remember if viewers already knew by then that he'd caused the plane crash. Yet they were still setting up the Lily/Diego romance. I guess Mike eventually would have saved her. I wonder if the show would have gone with Mike/Lily if Shawn Christian hadn't left.

I liked that with Connor and Kirk too (although at first I thought someone was going to kill him!).

Paul and Sara both just seem dull and superfluous. I never understood why Sara was supposed to be so dull.

All these years later and I still don't believe John and Barbara would be attracted to each other.

• Members

I remember the Diego character not being popular at all with fans. That's why they did the 180 and made him evil character. I wasnt a fan of the character so it didnt bother me.

Sarah was boring just like her brothers....lol...but I have to say I loved John Howard as Paul....or model Paul as he was called.

I never cared for John and Barbara as a couple but its much better than the awful Henry gay Barbara pairing...ugh......lol

• Members

Eh, I didn't care much for John and Barbara either I think the pairing grew from their rescue of Lisa from Martin Chedwyn in Hong Kong. I remember feeling sorry for Lisa when she walked in on them sharing an intimate moment. The John Dixon Jr. story was pretty stark I have to wonder if this is why CZP said she felt revitalized when Sheffer took over and later on with her pairing with Henry.

In spite of the negative reception and some pretty bad performances, both Bronson Picket and Rosalyn Sanchez both grew after their ATWT roles to have some success in primetime and cable.

Mike and Lily was a go until Hensley's return. Funny I've been rewatching Season 1 of Charmed and Shawn Christian played one of Piper's pre-Leo boyfriends for a few episodes and he was horrific, pretty much giving the same performance he did on ATWT and on Days now.