ATWT: Passanante talks about killing Reid off

• Members

JP and CG's comments on Reid's death are clearly attempts to beat back the anger over the plot device. They are clearly also lying a lot. Putting aside my anger, the decision to kill Reid and donate his organs is downright odd. Firstly, why kill off one of three gay characters when there were so many other useless characters who had been on the show longer and therefore, their deaths would have more impact. Secondly, gay men donating organs is very controversial and is usually not done in most states. It is impossible to believe that none of the gay writers said anything about this as JP claims or maybe like JP and CG, they were so over ATWT that they didn't give a toss.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm surprised they didn't try to claim they did this story to be progressive...

I really do not think they ever understood how many people cared about Reid for himself, not just as a Nuke spoiler or as part of Luke's life. He was the only Nuke plot device fans ever really cared about, aside from Brian, to a much lesser degree. Sadly, my guess is if they had known, they never would have cast him in a gay story.

• Members

IMO, TPTB were afraid of backlash from both fanbases, which is why Nuke fans got dead!Reid and LuRe fans got stillbrokeup!Nuke. I don't buy for a second that giving Luke an "unhappy ending" is some kind of act of homophobia, like some fans are claiming. Say what you will about TPTB, they probably deserve it, but they kept a gay character on the show for 5 years, wrote stories for him that were just as crappy as the straight characters' stories, and despite the all-too-frequent lack of physical affection, there was never any question as to what Luke's or Reid's (or Noah's, on the off chance he was actually affectionate with anyone) sexual orientations were. Any shady dealings in that department had to have come from over their heads, I think.

• Members

He actually did get a happy ending but it got cut fromt the last episode.

I understand why people are angry about Luke and Reid's ending. TPTB never allowed them to have sex, never provided the pay off the story seemed to be building to and ended the storyline with an overused, cliched dead/unhappy gays ending when almost everyone else got something better. It may not have been intentional, conscious homophobia but if they did they really knew their audience and bothered to become aware of gay cliches they would have realized how this story was going to come across.

• Members

I thought the deleted clips just showed Craig flirting with Rosanna and she rebuffing his advances and then Ro turns and smirks. That's a happy ending for Craig?? Had Scott Bryce been in the role I'd love to have seen Betsy back and Sierra and Craig finally growing up and realizing Sierra was his true love and no one else not even Ro.

As for Reid....Goutman and Pissy knew how popular Reid and Luke were. Hell even Van Hansis knew! He would comment about it in his interviews. So the writers knew what the hell they were doing ...Goutman included.

• Members

I think the implication was that it was only a matter of time before Craig and Rosanna got back together.

I do agree that Bryce as Craig would have deserved a much better ending. If ANYONE was going to talk to Craig about forgiveness, it would be Betsy, not Lily. The Betsy/Craig friendship was so moving and a testament to what a kind person Betsy truly was.

Archived