ATWT: Passanante talks about killing Reid off

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pissy do STFU

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/atwts-head-scribe-passanante-on-why-the-decision-to-kill-reid-and-the-end-of-lukes-story/2010/09/21/

Gee ever think you'd have had more time if you hadn't wasted most of it on the idiocy of Barbara stuck with the clown or hadn't spent so much time having almost every character propping Katie, Chris and Janet? :rolleyes:

• Members

Oh please who cares. I wish someone would ask her why she kept Janet and kept adding members for that family, yet we had no Snyder returns or big Hughes returns. Instead of that silly clown, Billy Warlock, etc. garbage they should've done a final storyline for Tom and Margo. Andy Dixon should've returned especially now that Maura West revealed he WANTS to act. I'm sure Ming-Na would've returned as Lein for a few episodes. It would be AMAZING to have the entire Snyder clan back again, but we go nothing. Martha Byrne as Rose. Had Byrne returned as Rose you could've actually given Will and Gwen an actual story.

This show had more notice than any soap ever yet they did nothing. They went about business telling the same dreadful tales they'd been telling and ended on a whimper. As bad an actor as Van Hansis is, he's lucky to have gotten as much screentime as he did in that final year. I do agree the exit with Reid was a cop out (and part of another terrible story), but at least they got something. That's more than you can say for most of ATWT's legacy.

• Members

I agree---I don't get why Reid and Luke merit some aggressive outrage. When TIIC planned their ending, they had no way of knowing Helen Wagner would die and they'd have to write her death in. Could they have hastily rewritten it? Maybe, but would the LuRe fandom been any more happy if Reid had simply saved Chris' life, and they'd gotten no sex scene? Somehow, I don't think so. We'd simply have a different complaint.

• Members

While I know that the Luke/Reid fans are the most outraged, I was annoyed not because of that couple (I didn't care about their relationship and I thought that relationship pretty much drained Reid of most of his personality), but because of the cheapness and laziness of it all. I think it kind of says it all that JP's main response was, "We could have gotten another week out of that." She had learned nothing from Bryan's death. Shock value storytelling with no real followup. In that story the only followup was that every time Craig would so something bad, someone would bring up Bryant.

Reid was, at least initially, an interesting character, and it's not thrilling to me that he needed to be killed off for manufactured drama over a character who never had much purpose, aside from being yet another of Katie's soulmates.

• Members

I'm saying that they did write something for Luke. (It was my understanding DK wrote it before he left for AMC, back in the spring) They just decided not to change it in light of HW's death. Could they have written a non-Reid death ending for Luke? Sure. But no matter what it was, some Luke fan base would have complained.

• Members

I guess I can see why fans would complain about Luke being unhappy while everyone else was happy. The heart stuff seemed more like someone's idea of being bold (and it might have been...in 1982) than about the characters.

I don't really care about Luke, I was more bothered by how lazy the whole thing was, but the total lack of interest in their relationship and in Luke's character seemed to shine through as the show finished.

• Members

I was more irritated by the fact that we had to have Juicy Janet on every darn day! And then bringing over billy warlock and bringing back Uncle Ralph just added fuel to the fire. It certainly made it hard to understand why anyone would want Dusty with Janet thats for sure. She's friggin preggo and making out with Billy's character and stringing along Dusty all while thinking she's pregnant by Jack. I found it disgusting myself. And all these men finding her irrestible was a bit much as well. Talk about wasted time......we should have been concentrating on other stories instead of that in my opinion.

• Members

Because Janet=Jean Passanante that why she was seen every [!@#$%^&*] day on our screen.

My beef is more that Reid didnt get a happy ending. He was a popular character who got the shaft yet Juicy Janet got her happy ending. F U C K you Pissy!!

Archived