GH: Bob Guza: "We Don't Glorify the Mob!" (Barf)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They have to know by now they can't keep this [!@#$%^&*] up forever. Maurice Benard is a patriarch at best at this point and Steve Burton has literally begun to resemble a beast of burden. Jason and Sam are a joke, the endless repetitive cycle of "elaborate gunfight sequences" are boring, the "bad mob" threats are interchangeable as are the lame-ass, weak-[!@#$%^&*] 'antagonists' they use to attack the police, like Claire and Detective Deep Pesto or whatever the [!@#$%^&*] his name is. Next year they'll be gone and it'll be another of Jill's friends in the roles. It's just a joke. Michael got butt-raped for his father's sins - that should be the end of the mob cycle on GH. There is literally nowhere else to go after that, unless Sonny's career in crime were to cost Brenda, his one salvation, her life.

• Members

The aging may be one reason why Johnny is still there, as some sort of backup. I guess we'll see. I thought he would be long gone by now.

The main problem is that they set up big moments but never care about consequences or followthrough. They have done this over and over and over. Sonny shooting his wife in the head, for example. I think they miscalculated on the whole shooting Dante thing because it was someone viewers knew was a decent person and they made Sonny and Jason shoot him only because he was a fed. The show obviously thought it was enough that he was seen as a turncoat or a liar, but it wasn't. And the stories since then have continued to half-ass. Kristina falsely accuses someone of beating her, it's all forgotten. Sonny almost blows Kristina up -- this makes her love him. Michael's rape also seems likely to be forgotten or just used to make him more of a stoic figure like Jason.

They are so protective of Jason that they suffocate him -- he now does nothing, says nothing, is nothing. They have to write around him.

• Members

That reminds me of Wendy Riche accepting the Emmy for mob-infested GH and decrying violence on tv. I was like "ARE YOU KIDDING ME???"

I knew the mob was going to be glorified the minute they introduced Michael "Sonny" Corinthos and went to great pains to rip off The Godfather, right down to all 3 names. You couldn't tell me then they weren't going to try to turn MB into Al Pacino. I mean, he's even short and dark like AP.

GH had frontburner mob characters on before, primarily Frank Smith and then Duke Lavery. But Frank Smith was never anything but a villain (impacting really only Luke & Laura) and Duke Lavery was more of a reluctant mobster than a kingpin (who interacted mainly with Anna,Robin, Frisco & Felicia). Neither one ever came close to dominating the show with the current mob stranglehold that's been going on for almost 2 decades now. I mean, had GH not decided to make almost every character and storyline tie into Sonny or Jason in some way years ago, I might have continued watching.

The mere fact that the show has been dominated by the mob--when it's supposed to be General Hospital and not The Sopranos--is glorification, to say nothing of the numerous relationships and prison avoidances they've had and the mockery that is the police dept. Granted, I haven't watched in some years but it doesn't seem any of that's changed.

Archived