'The View' For Men? Barbara Walters Eyes Bryant Gumbel Panel Show

• Members

My link

Barbara Walters is eyeing a spinoff of "The View" geared at men, the New York Daily News' Gatecrasher column reports.

The newspaper reports that Walters and partner Bill Geddie are "quietly developing a 'unisex' spinoff of 'The View' that will attempt to inject a male perspective into the topics of the day."

Walters and Geddie are reportedly eyeing Bryant Gumbel to moderate the show; other potential show hosts include "Ugly Betty" actor Alec Mapa, former Fox News host E.D. Hill, and ex-BET News anchor Jacque Reid.

Gumbel, who appeared recently on "The View," hosts "Real Sports" on HBO and is the former co-host of the "Today" show. He announced late last year that he had surgery to remove a malignant tumor from his lung.

"We don't ever comment on anything we may or may not be developing," an ABC spokeswoman told the Daily News.

If the show moves forward, it will not be the first spinoff inspired by "The View."

CBS will debut a panel show geared at working moms called "The Talk" this fall; it will feature Julie Chen, Sara Gilbert, Sharon Osbourne, Holly Robinson Peete, Leah Remini and Marissa Jaret Winokur.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First of all, the lib-nuts at Huffpo need to understand what a "SPINOFF" is. The Talk is not a spinoff. It's a ripoff. Just like Later Today, 4th Hour of Today, The Other Half, and that lame Jules Asner show in syndication a few years back. Get off that crackpipe Arianna.

Secondly, if Barbara Walters is developing a spinoff of The View, that leads me to believe one thing: either The View is heading to syndication or ABC may be ramping up additional efforts to compete against The Talk.

I'd much rather have ABC news take an hour from daytime instead of Barbara Walters, but I could handle another talk show.

• Members

WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE, WAIT A MINUTE.

The original source of this article(NYDailyNews) says Walters/Geddie are eyeing the Oprah timeslot for this proposed spinoff.

What a way to make people "concerned" Eyewitness News. Typical f*cking hype. :rolleyes:

• Members

Did you actually read the article? If you did and clicked on the original source, which is the NY Daily news, you would know that they called it a spinoff, not Huffpost. Huff Post just brought the article over to their site.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/08/25/2010-08-25_barbara_walters_plans_to_develop_unisex_spinoff_of_the_view.html

• Members

Never work. By and large men aren't yentas, and therein lies the problem. They tried this a few years back with Dick Clark and Mario Lopez, but I think that was more a show starring men aimed at women. If they were to inject a male perspective into their so-called hot topics it would go something like this

Hasselbitch: did you watch the Bachelor last night when whoever took the rose back?

Man: I am not brain damaged and would like to keep it that way, sorry.

some other topic where Lizzie turns on the water works:

Man: let me ask you something you twit. Was this talk show segment, 35 seconds long, really so emotional to you that you had to start crying, really???

• Members

Did you actually read my post?! NYDailyNews did not call "The Talk(the CBS show starring Chen)" a spinoff. "The Talk" wasn't even mentioned in the NYDailyNews article. But HuffPo called "The Talk" a spinoff, when it's not. It's a ripoff.

ETA: Yeah...didn't think so. <_<

Archived