Short term soap stints you enjoyed

• Members

Robin Strasser was blessed with both Lois Smith and Marian Seldes. I have a dvd of Williams one-acts taped for PBS (they look just like soaps though on theatre sets) called Dragon Country and Lois Smith is in the first one, "Talk to Me Like the Rain and Let Me Listen" (Kim Stanley is in the second one, "I Can't Imagine Tomorrow", my stomach sinks thinking about how fantastic she would have been on a soap). Speaking of, I liked Geraldine Page's work in the Loving pilot movie, another one who would have been awesome on a soap in a longer run.

Janet Hubert is going to go on my list once this Evangeline story wraps up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From what I remember, it was for a very short time, I think merely weeks. However, Eden & Kirk in Aqualand remains to this day my FAVORITE action sequence EVER on daytime. When he forced her into that pool of sharks.......man, my heart jumped. But really, the best scenes were of Eden running from him in her red outfit & those darned red flats. Pay attention to the background music in the 2nd part of the scene- it's one of my fave pieces from SB.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

Wasn't Rosemary's stint as Sister Mary Joel fairy lengthy? How long was she on How To Survive A Marriage?

Lois Smith was on The Doctors and other soaps.Maybe other posters can remember her from those days.

Dorothy McGuire was terrific on Y&R as Victor's mother.That lady is class all the way.

Is there any footage of acting legend Uta Hagen on OLTL.She won an Emmy for that.

• Members

Lois Smith was also on Somerset in that Jingles the Clown stalks the Ames family story. I think she WAS Jingles.

You're right about the work as Sister Mary Joel. I haven't seen a lot of that era so I keep forgetting she played the part, I always associate that with the woman who played her in the show's first few years.

I think Rosemary was on HTSAM for about six months, the same length as her AMC stint.

Speaking of RH, I always enjoyed the appearances from Maeve's sister Annie (who was a possible choice to play Maeve), and from the eldest Ryan daughter, Kathleen. She was the perfect blend of Mary and Siobhan and Maeve. Bizarre they never brought her back after 1980.

• Members

As Hortense, it was in the early '80s I believe so there must be, not sure if it's publicly available. Strasser has said in interviews that she wished she'd had the chance to work with her. The first time I saw Uta on screen was in Oz.

• Members

I have that on DVD--it was part of a Theatre Archive box set (that also has a stunning Blythe Danner in Eccentricities of a Nightingale). Awesome stuff.

Carl if you're gonna count Prinz 6 months at AMC (love the episode with her campy nightmare that'son Agnes Nixon's site), then Donna Pescow's half year run as the lesbian psychiatrist on AMC should count too. I have one episode on video that ends with her all alone at Christmas after she turns down Devon's advances and plitely explains Devon's not gay. It could be called a cop out (even in 1983) but the ending is really touching and even kinda devestating.

Did HTSAM even last much longer?

That Jingles the Clown story is one I've always wanted to see.

• Members

This one probably doesn't count, but I did enjoy what little I saw of JVA as Gloria on Y&R. Someone mentioned Terrence Mann earlier, he also did a short stint as Rae's husband Daniel Faulkner on OLTL. Yet another NY theatre vet, Elizabeth Ashley was a scrappy and enjoyable Emma Frame in what little I caught of that on SoapNet.

• Members

HTSAM lasted about a year and a half.

I don't have a problem counting Donna's AMC stint, Eric, I hope you didn't think I did :lol:

Didn't Lynn Carson have a partner (one of those offcamera partners of 80s soaps)?

• Members

SFK that picture is hilarious. Sometimes I still can't believe that was not only a show but one that ran for years.

I should mention Ava Gardner's brief run on Knots Landing, especially for her sparring with Constance McCashin, who in another time would have been a screen goddess as Ava was.

• Members

:lol: Not until recently did I discover that Burt Reynolds did the voice of the absent alien dad.

You mentioned Ava Carl, I've never seen those eps actually, just the clip of her clicking her jaw and teasing Greg about a polo pony. But it reminds me of Falcon Crest, they probably take the prize for celebrity short stints: Lana Turner, Gina Lolabrigida, Leslie Caron, Kim Novak, Mel Ferrer, Cesar Romero...

• Members

I just wish that we could see some behind the scenes moments with Jane Wyman and Lana Turner and Jane Wyman and Mel Ferrer (and Jane Wyman and Robert Foxworthy...and Jane Wyman and Simon Macorkindale...).

Archived