Short term soap stints you enjoyed

• Members

Joan was FABULOUS on GL. She would have been better served playing another character, but she was the kind of kick ass injection of talent, humor, glamor and drama that GL desperately needed. I'd love to see her back on daytime or in prime time guest shots or a regular series. SOMETHING. Europe seems to be the place where she's most appreciated at the moment. Hopefully she'll have a renaissance.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Has anyone mentioned Elizabeth Franz's turn on ANOTHER WORLD as Alma Rudder?

GL: Michael Lombard as Kyle Sampson's bio dad, Cardinal Malone. The scenes between him and Larkin Malloy (Kyle) on the rooftop were fantastic.

• Members

That's funny, someone linked something from GL on here about a week ago and I happened upon Michael Lombard and Larkin in a related clip. His is a face I always recognized but never knew the name of until a few months ago when Dixie Carter passed and I watched some episodes of Filthy Rich. He played Dixie's character's (Carlotta) bisexual husband Marshall. :lol:

• Members

Oh how my twin sister and I LOVED that show. Though it was often paired it seems, on weekends, with Small Wonder which even at 6 or 7 I just couldn't stand--it felt oddly smarmy or something. Did her dad even ever return? I grew to hate those kinds of shows as a kid--where they almost always approach their goal, but not quite cuz the show has to return to square one by the next episode (think a classic example like Gilligan's Island). Maybe that's why I became attracted to soaps at such a young age, despite what critics say about slow plots and repitition, things actually happened, and changed.

• Members

I felt the same way, Eric. It was one of the reasons I very quickly got bizarrely angry with stuff like Lost in Space and the Batman TV show. I knew that it was supposed to be silly and not to be considered, but the amount of times on Batman that Batman would be captured and no one would bother to learn his secret identity (or if they did learn it they would somehow forget), just drove me insane. It was the same thing week in and week out. For all that people have said soaps are repetitive, for many years they did move story and character forward.

Oh, and with the main topic, I liked Beverly Archer's short run on Y&R as the maid Jill brought in to replace Esther.

• Members

Glad it didn't frustrate just me--a NUMBER of cartoons I watched growing up worked on that premise too and I think as a small kid it annoyed me even more than it would now. One was Dungeons and Dragons, where they're always trying to get back home away from the fantasy land and never, ever, ever do. At least now most sitcoms, etc, do have SOME forward momentum.

• Members

Tamara Braun as Ava Vitali on Days of Our Lives. It was a convoluted story but I really liked the character.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived