Short term soap stints you enjoyed

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes. Thanks. They were both good. I thought they belonged in a different story, they were both such stark characters, they were more interesting in their own element than in conflict with Mike or Carrie.

• Members

I liked Cynthia Watros's guest spot on AW as Vicky.

For PURELY campy reasons, I LOVED Fiona Hutchinson's turn as Celia on ATWT.

I thought Joseph Bottoms was an EXCELLENT short-term Cal Winters on DAYS back in the day.

Jessica Tuck ROCKED as Madeline (Thank You Gary Tomlin). Please don't let her be dead.

I enjoyed Marcia Wallace on Y&R.

Any of Nancy Frangiones returns to AW, but particularly in 1986 when she kidnapped & drugged Cass. I still remember them rolling around on the beach, ala "From Here to Eternity," and Kathleen walking up & finding them.

This probably shouldn't count, but I thought Sophia Landon Geier did a more than admirable job filling in for Anna Stuart on AW. Hell, her handful of episodes showed far more character study & depth than Philiece Sampler's entire(ly too long) run as Donna.

And I just ADORED Dorothy Lyman returning to AW as Gwen Frame in 1989, as I had never seen the character before.

• Members

I thought Dorothy was great but from the little bit I'd seen of Gwen, Gwen was a very tense, neurotic woman (although she did have a history of mental instability). Dorothy Lyman said she had no idea what was going on with Gwen in that return. I think they were trying to cash in on Dorothy's work as Opal. Anyway, I did like her scenes with Rachel, Dorothy and Vicky Wyndham, two titans.

I liked most of Cecile's return stints - the one in 1989 also had some good moments, mostly when she was alone with Cass, and some fun moments when she lived under the Cory roof. I also liked the ending for that story, as she decided at the last minute to be good and not embezzle the charity fund.

I really loved Julie Osburn's two day return in 1989 when Cass was delirious and sick and hallucinated that Kathleen was with him.

It's never wrong to count Sofia Landon.

She also had a brief run on ATWT in 1988, as a woman who worked for Duncan, but from what I've seen the role wasn't up to much.

• Members

^^^Reading Lemay's book for the first time a couple of years ago definitely dusted off a lot of my old memories. I'd forgotten about Luise naming her plants, but after I read that passage in the book, again I could hear her voice. Good times. :)

• Members

I loved Claire Bloom's short run as Damian Grimaldi's mother, Orlena. Her evolving character went from refined Maltese matriarch to The Mother-In-Law-From-Hell. Unfortunately, she was unable to complete her run, and the actress who took over the role was just way too over-the-top.

I also got a kick out of the fact that BOTH main characters from the old TV spy series "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." appeared on ATWT at different times. David McCallum was heavily involved in the Steve/Betsy storyline during Meg Ryan's run. Robert Vaughan played Jeff Hamlin's father (Jeff was dating Emily Stewart).

I wish I could say I enjoyed the short stints of Peter Noone (of Herman's Hermits fame) and Mickey Dolenz (of the Monkees). But the storyline they appeared in (Jessica's daughter, Bonnie McKechnie turns out to be a Scottish princess and inherits a castle) was one of ATWT's all-time worst.

• Members

Claire was just phenomenal. I still remember the scene where she killed Eduardo in the hospital. Looking back I'm surprised that even got on the air, it was so stark and so slow and agonizing to watch, and you were just stunned.

Robert Vaughan was good -- I liked Jef a lot (yet another wrong choice for Valente to fire) and his relationship with his father. Vaughan's character was also a big attorney, I think he represented John in the wrongful death or malpractice lawsuit Lisa filed against him.

I should also include Larry Pine as Adam's lawyer Barry Shire on AMC. That's actually one of the only roles I totally enjoyed Pine in.

Archived