Y&R: Schmidt OUT?

• Members

From SOC: http://www.soapcentral.com/yr/news/2010/0720-schmidt.php

According to Kevin G. Schmidt's "tweet," Y&R has not asked him back as Noah, leading to speculation that TPTB might be looking to SORAS Noah just a bit (more), in keeping with the recent casting of Marcy Rylan as nuAbby.

Good news: all the former "Family Matters" cast is taken. Bad news: several former actors from "Step by Step" remain unemployed.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Schmidt was one of the few good casting hires in the past few years. He was regularly the only tolerable part of the disgusting way Sharon and Nick behaved last year. And if they cast him as they did with Rylan, with an actor who is far too old, then they are just further pissing away opportunities.

Hell, why not just go all the way and cast Marty West.

• Members

Bright side, though, would be a return to Y&R's signature soft lighting. Say what you will about Conboy (and believe me, as a GUIDING LIGHT fan, I've said plenty), but that man knew how to lit a set.

• Members

What is "JTT" doing these days? I can see them hiring him, to get some blaring headline at EW. Then again, knowing the cleverness of those at the show, they might hire him to play JT. "JTT is playing JT...SQUEE!"

• Members

:lol: That kid just kinda disappeared. He was like the face of Teen Bop/Tiger Beat back in the day, there were girls in my high school classes who were a little too old at that point to still be so infatuated. Remember, he even got the coveted "and" credit on HI. And proceeded to not appear in the series' final episodes IIRC which pissed Tim Allen off.

Jonathan Taylor Thomas, the middle kid on Home Improvement. Not to be confused with the thricely named Zachary Ty Brian and Taran Noah Smith (Sarah Michelle Gellar, Jennifer Love Hewitt, it was a "thing" in the late '80s/early '90s :lol: ).

• Members

Schmidt's got his own show on Cartoon Network. If it takes off, and I think it may, I doubt he'll get two squats about Y&R. I say good for him, good for him, indeed.

I was thinking more along the lines of the guy who played Steve aka Steverino on Full House. He's gotta be a few years from the other side of 40.

Oh hell, might as well just go for Dave Coulier.

........Jonathan Taylor Thomas.

*scoffs*

And you were a teenager in the 90s!

• Members

For reals? Looking back on GL eps I have circa 2003-2004, it's hard to see what's going on! Waaaaay too dark and glossy.

Re: JTT... he's one of those actors who got outed way after the fact to the point that nobody blinked an eye at the news... but if he suddenly gets a leading role in a hit cable series, he'll have to crawl back into the closet (Hi, Matthew Bomer!)

• Members

Bright side to that? Considering how terrible the stories were at that point, it was probably for the best, lol.

Look at Conboy's work, though, on Y&R, CAPITOL and even some of SANTA BARBARA. The lighting techniques he employed were, I felt, very moody and atmospheric. Of course, exquisite lighting schemes do not an EP make.

• Members

Conboy strikes me as a creative consultant wearing an EP's title. A man with good taste (for the most part) and good ideas, but totally in need of an excellent HW. He's an interior designer, not an architect. Not trying to sell him short, that's just the impression I get, he is still of course wonderfully talented. I wish Bill Bell would have "went there" and talked about their relationship in his TV archive interview.

Archived