Jacklyn Zeman Interview, Discussing Ageism, Lack of Airtime, Etc.

• Members

JFP's GL, like her SB, was generally an ensemble effort dominated by actors over the age of 35. She may have been ageist on other shows, but having seen her GL and parts of her SB, it definitely wasn't apparent on those shows.

I don't think we can squarely push AW's demise on Jill, she actually, in a weird way, fought hard for the show.

The show had major problems before she got there and those same problems continued on after she left. That show would have been gutted with or without her.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can see that.

I think a lot of the ageism stems from Brian Frons. But all the soaps saw a huge decline in vets, starting in 2004 and forward. Many dropped to recurring or practically vanishing (Larry Bryggman on ATWT; Kristina Wagner, Jaclyn Zeman, Wally Kurth, Brad Maule, Anna Lee on GH). I know the 90s was spotty but they had much more of a presence then, although it started the trend of using them less.

I wouldn't be so opposed to new, younger characters if they had the relevance and lasting quality of the veterans, but frankly, the actors were better back in the 60s, 70s and 80s, and the writing was better. Characters were developed. That's what is lacking now. Writers don't write compelling characters. It's PLOT.

• Members

And speaking of Frons, I'm really shocked that Erika Slezak and Susan Lucci are still leading their respective shows. But wasn't it during Higley's reign of terror on OLTL where Viki was never used and Nora languished in a coma for like a year? Another prime example of him trying to force them out. And the same for Susan by moving AMC to LA. I'm sure he's thrilled they don't have to pay David Canary or Ray McDonnell's salaries anymore and he succeeded in seeing them go. I bet he was hoping Susan wouldn't go either.

• Members

I still get a huge chuckle out of the way Robin Strasser was pushed out of OLTL. :lol::lol::lol:

And the story about her being late to her own goodbye party because Jill made her scenes the last to be taped that day? [!@#$%^&*] awesome! LOL.

Archived