Gary Coleman Dead at 42

AllMyDaysatGH

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is soooooooooo sad, my heart is pained for his life, he just went through so much. I can only take comfort in his peace now, just a tortured soul, life did him all kinds of wrong, illness, betrayed by his adopted parents and representation, Hollywood building him up and taking him further down than he would have been had he ever been made a star... Todd Bridges was on Oprah not too long ago talking about the show's "curse" which he didn't buy into, but it's true that they've all had their unfair share of woe.

• Members

Word. He was under scrutiny for just about anything/everything he did, it seemed. All he was was a big joke to the media, and it's gonna sicken me in the coming days to see them act like they ever really gave a damn about him.

RIP, Gary!

ETA: And I don't buy into that "curse" mentality either. It's just an easy way for the media to wipe their hands clean of what happened to these kids.

• Members

I agree there's probably no such thing as a curse, but that show has had a tough legacy -- I think at this point only Charlotte Rae and the little redheaded boy from the last few years are still alive.

Sorry to hear about Gary Coleman. The media did turn him into a joke but there was a time when he was the biggest star in America, and when he made millions of people laugh at a time when there wasn't very much to laugh about.

• Members

Conrad Bain's still alive, as well, and of course, Todd Bridges. Of all the major players, it's Rae, Bain, Bridges, Danny Cooksey (who played Sam), Mary Ann Mobley (replaced Dixie) and Mary Jo Catlett (the last housekeeper). Some of the supporting characters, like the two kids who were Arnold's BFFs should still be around too.

For every news story about tragedy with the DS alumni, it does make me smile a little to know that the stars of their spin-off show haven't been affected by "the curse." They've all been pretty successful and are happy enough to reunite with each other whenever asked.

• Members

Yes, Pearl, who had epilepsy. :P She was on a soap too, I always want to say ATWT because she had an Irish accent and I think of Duncan (who had a Scottish accent, duh SFK :rolleyes: ). Must have been DAYS. Mary Jo Catlett.

Gary was one of the best child actors ever, he was hilarious, had great timing, and was so charismatic. I loved his early work on Good Times. The boy even had a cartoon, "The Gary Coleman Show", where he played an angel (in the days where Hanna-Barabera made a cartoon out of just about EVERY pop culture phenomenon).

Archived