Y&R: Discussion for the week of May 17

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Watching Ashley and Victor talk about having Ashley stay home to keep an eye on their 21 year old daughter was just so wrong. Maria you can write for teenagers, it's adults that you can't write for.

I thought the whole heiress reality show is now a dying trend. Isn't the hottest reality shows about orange people from New Jersey? Once again an Abbott and/or Newman will be using Rafe for their own agendas while pretending to care about his interests.

Based on the previews for tomorrow, the Newmans will be given higher moral ground as Tucker ask J.T. to do something stupid. Now my interest in Tucker has gone down once again.

• Members

I don't get all this diss on Marcy Rylan. Until yesterday and today, I had never seen the girl a scene, not ONCE. Granted, she's not the perfect choice, I would have gotten someone younger, but her performances are quite good as the snotty bitch princess all poised to raise hell. Luckinbill was 29 years old playing 17... Beirdz was 24 playing 16.. so this is long standing soap tradition, as much as I don't like it. This girl is MILES ahead Hayley Erin... at least with Marcy, I don't have to yell at my TV and walk out of the room because the acting is so bad. RIEGEL.... Heavens to mergatroid, this is where the venom should be aimed. I've never seen such a horrible recast in years. I think this SL idea with Abby is exciting, I love bratty children being a pain in Victor's ass. Anything that gives him grief is gold in my book.

• Members

The problem with Abby isn't Marcy Rylan's acting and she is better than Erin (though that's not difficult to accomplish). It's the character and where the writing is going with her. How old is she suppose to be? She was sorased to be in her 20's yet the characters in the show treat her as a minor. Marcy can pass for early 20's, not a teenager. It doesn't help that her predecessor was a teenager girl.

• Members

I don't even think Marcy can pass for her early 20s.

I loved Marcy on GL but there's no point in caring about her on Y&R. The Newmans are one of the worst families in soaps, in terms of their writing as well as the shockingly poor acting of most of the family. Add in the show's hatred of women and the general lack of interesting or consistent characterization, and she will be dragged down sooner or later.

• Members

Um, none of these people are playing teens on this show. The kid playing Noah came on when he was 19/20 and looks the part. The only one that is off is Thad, who was 24 when he first played JT but thats not nearly as old as Marcy Rylan trying to pass off as a 18 yr old. What makes it worse is that she just came off GL where she played an adult

and thats probably why you dont have a problem. Many of us did see her in other roles, most notably GL only last year where she played an adult. Its a downgrade to go from an adult to a teen and I cant wrap my head around it. She looks so fake with her talk and manneurisms. I love MR and she was one of my faves from GL, but this role is horribl miscast bc of how she is written. I dont understand why they kept her as a teen. She'd be much more buyable had they aged her to her early-mid 20s. She looks ridiculous trying to channel her inner Miley Cyrus

• Members

Abby is 21 now isn't she? I guess I don' see it as a big stretch. I'm happy with MR as Abby, it could have been much, much worse. Once this story is over she'll just be a 20 something like Daniel, Kevin, Lily and Devon. Her actual age will be irrelevant and unknown.

• Members

She's 21? She's acting like she's 15-16. I thought I was generous when I assumed she was 18 bc of the nudity thing which no one found pedophilic. I dont know 21 yr olds that talk and act as silly as she. The writing suggets that she is much younger but then again thats a bigger problem with the show. Plus the adults are talking about her and acting as if she's some child instead of the young adult that I guess she's intended to be.

• Members

I nearly gagged when Victor told Ashley she should be home paying more attention to Abby. F*ck you, Grambo. How about you quit your job and stay home with your adult daughter. I guess we'll find out if Abby just turned 18 or if it was 21. It's most likely one or the other though because of the trust fund thing. I haven't had a chance to watch today yet, so maybe they'll mention it.

• Members

I think it's obvious that GL viewers are the ones who have a problem with Rylan, because they have a pre-conceived notion in their heads of what and whom she's supposed to be. I think someone in the SOAP PRESS (Was it Nelson?) Said that Abby was being SORASED to early 20's. They haven't officially told us yet, but I don't think they are going that far. She was 16... my guess is they are aging her to 18. And teenagers looking realistically their age went out the window DECADES ago, that train has left the station and is never coming back, so that's why her age doesn't bother me, I suppose. I mean, when you have Aaron Spelling casting 30 year old Gabrielle Carteris as a high school student 15 years ago, the viewing pulbic is conditioned to accept such things. I suppose the REAL REASON is that full grown adults *usually* have more maturity and a better work ethic, so that they might be more dependable in the high pressure world of shooting a soap, and there is no hassle of school schedules to have to tiptoe around, etc. I'm SURE that's the REAL reason it's done like that.

Archived