Y&R: Discussion for the week of May 17

• Members

If they were going to pair Daniel with someone, I wish it would have been Lily. I applaud the show for not pairing Daniel with his ex-wife and trying him with someone new but Lane as soulmates leaves a very bland taste in my mouth. Though Abby so far is like a rich version of Amber. Poor Micheal Grazidei and Marcy Rylan for having to play that scene where Daniel spanks Abby; it was cringe inducing.

So Kevin/Jana/Ryder triangle....hmm. And Lauren will continue to freak out some more. During the original Shelia storyline, was Lauren ever this scared of Shelia?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nope, but Lauren wasn't as spineless as she is these days, either.

I'm not saying a character can't evolve over time, but I think it is a trifle absurd for this one-time vixen to be so defeated and helpless. Surely, when Traci Abbott dumped that ice-cream sundae on Lauren's head all those years ago, she didn't douse her flame entirely?

• Members

I think another thing that should be noted though is that Sheila has gotten ALOT more psychotic since the original story. I think anyone would be scared of the Sheila Carter we've seen in the past decade. She's been far more dangerous, insane and downright sociopathic than she's ever been in the past.

• Members

I don't know, I thought Sheila was much scarier back in the old days. The LML version of Gloria terrified me a lot more than anything Sheila has done since 1994 or so.

The worst part is that probably the only reason they aged Abby is because someone at the show has probably been waiting and waiting to get to write scenes like that.

• Members

I thought that when Abby was SORASED she was still going to be in a romance with Ryder. They may have thought that Ryder is associate with teen!Abby and there was so much made about how young she was compared to him; now Abby looks older than him. Now Ryder is going to be in a triangle with Jana and the Chipmunk and Abby is getting spanked by Daniel.

Even when Hayley Erin was in the role the direction for Abby seemed to be Paris Hilton. Now that she's legal, they are making her full on Paris including

When it comes to Reed, Victoria is all talk and no action. The only time she ever talks about Reed is when she sees J.T., when she has visitation, or when Reed begs to see her. She may talk about it with someone else, but she'll stop if something distracts her. When she's shown having visitation she chose to see her brother in jail rather than spend time with her son. On Thursday's episode many people felt for Victoria, but the only thing I felt was annoyance and anger. There is no way in hell that she will quit working at Newman or get off the Ranch for very long; she'll come back like she always does. I thought it was a stupid scene when Victoria was telling J.T. to remember that when he looks at Reed to remember that he's a Newman. Reed looks way more like J.T. than he does her so he'll look more Hellstrom than Newman. This scene makes it look like Victoria believes that Reed was created using Newman sperm.

• Members

The thing with Paris Hilton is she's actually pretty smart. She's made millions of dollars on a parody of a rich bimbo.

Abby is a brain dead moron, written and played as such.

Over and over Y&R seems to think viewers watch for no reason other than to sneer at women and hope they will remember their place.

• Members

That's why when I realized that Abby was going to be a Paris clone I thought that she should have been more of entrepreneur side of Paris rather than going with they typical route (parties, sex tapes, reality shows) that many go with when they use Paris for character inspiration.

• Members

I just thought she was making the point that Reed is also a Newman, which he is. Eggs are just as important as sperm after all. Just because tradition dictates children be given the father's surname that doesn't mean the child isn't also part of the mother's family. Victoria is the wrong one to have champion that cause though because JT is the real underdog here. I don't want to see him railroaded by the Newman power and money.

On the otherhand, I keep seeing people say that the show is being old fashioned by saying that Reed needs his mother and I don't agree with that either. Reed needs his mother (imo), but that doesn't mean every child needs to have a mother to be happy or healthy. In Reed's case, he was brought up with his mother in the picture. It's not like JT used a surrogate. The kid is attached to his mother and misses her. If a child has been raised by both parents and neither are abusive then I think he needs them both equally. It doesn't make a lot of sense that Victoria would lose joint custody in this situation. She hasn't done anything to show that she is unfit, imo.

The thing that irritates me most is that Victor went on a million business trips when his kids were growing up, but he was never portrayed as abandoning his child or being neglectful. Hell, he did abandon Adam and the only one I remember even coming close to calling him on that was Nick. So Victoria takes a 1 month business trip to Dubai and she's neglectful, but the men on the show do it and it's no biggie. That kind of double standard is what I see as old fashioned.

• Members

Victoria didn't just take a business trip though, she also forced JT to let her have Reed even though she said she would not really be spending any time with Reed. She's such a selfish mother that she would rather Reed be stuck in a strange place with sitters than be with his father.

Victoria also happily left Reed almost immediately after she woke up from her coma.

She will always put Reed third or fourth in her life. Yet the show sells her as the victim in all of this.

• Members

The Newmans treat J.T. as a sperm donor and babysitter; that's why Victoria's comment pissed me off. J.T. is considered insignificant in Reed's life.

The reason that the "Reed needs his mother" argument doesn't go so well with me is because J.T. was practically Reed's sole parent while Victoria was hardly involved. Reed was getting along just fine without heavy involvement from Victoria. It wasn't until this custody storyline came that Victoria became this wonderful mother.

The Dubai business trip wasn't necessary. Victoria went to runaway from the problems she caused with her botched business deals.

• Members

I haven't been paying attention to most of these stories, so can anyone tell me why Jana is now in love with Ryder? Is this some Stockholm thing? Or is it because he was supposedly the one who was the sweetie-pie in the months of torment he and Daisy put Jana through?

Archived