The Sud's Report 3/12/10

• Members

Umm...it wasn't Kish that brought down the ratings. I will admit the whole Amelia and Dorain wedding was absurd. I felt it was a pure mockery. It really put me off and really cheapened the whole gays and lesbians are marrying in Lanview storyline. But that story was months ago. I think the downfall was the whole Gigi/Rex s h i t that has been going on and on and on and on. Add the awful Mitch story and the affects of it and boom....you have shitty ratings for the show.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right, I read that this week too, somethng like 45(!) episodes this season. Degrassi has always been a random viewing experience in our home, the syndication eps seem to bounce all over the place but we've finally started getting the DVDs to cover all of our bases. We have a long way to go, about to start S4 straight through. How many seasons ago did Emma and them go to college and the girl with the daughter sleeps with the hockey player to book the commercial? That's the "latest" we've caught.

:lol: Somebody had to say it!

There were moments with Mitch where I was embarrassed to be a soap fan and thankful to be watching alone.

• Members

Oh I know! That's just what apparantly Frank thinks. While I wasn't a big fan of a Gay Marriage story and can see them getting backlash, but this whole "lets throw the baby out with the bathwater"mentality is absurd. I don't know if anyone has read the ABC press realease, but the whole thing is spin. I'm pissed that in the same announcement that one of only two gay couples are leaving that they also say Kish resonated with fans and the audience, was ground breaking, they won awards. Okay so then why are you ditching them if all that is true? Makes no sense.

• Members

I think it was 48 episodes, and they'll be two-parters, so in the end, there'll be 24 hour-long stories throughout.

I never quite understood the syndication package. It was on here for a few years, and they always started with S3 (in particular, Marco's coming out 2-parter) and stopped at the very end of S5. They always aired the eps in order, but I know different markets showed it differently. We got it stripped in daytime, but some other places have Sunday morning marathons and stuff like that. Emma and them graduated at the end of S7, which was in spring 2008, but since they completely screwed the show's timeline up with seasons six, seven, eight, and nine, they were the class of 2007 graduating in 2008. If that's the latest you've seen, then you're in for either a pleasant surprise or an utter shock as seasons eight and nine basically revolve around newbies.

• Members

It's a real double standard because Gigi and Rex have been in so many unpopular stories, Todd has not been in a popular story since the rapemance, John has been a flop with various women for years, yet they are going nowhere. I certainly understand why some fans didn't love their role in the baby story or in the farcical gay wedding story because I didn't either, I thought they should have been more built up on their own, not put in the Nick and gay wedding stuff. But I also think the show was trying to tie them more into the overall canvas. They almost never had a story to stand out on their own, and now they never will. So the lesson is apparently they should have been put on their own from the start.

I thought we might at least get until the end of the year.

And what I really hate is that we have seen them specifically blamed for ratings losses and now we are seeing someone drag their names through the mud in the press. Say what you will about ATWT and how they mishandled Nuke but I never saw anyone saying Nuke got ATWT canceled, they were not dumped after less than a year, and no one went around to Branco talking crap about the actors.

It's a very demoralizing moment because hey, look, how groundbreaking, but psst, they almost killed the show and one of them, we'll let you guess who, is a party boy lazy bum.

• Members

When they aired the show he's a talking head on, Planet Soap, I didn't even recognize him!! LOL he looks very very little like the photos he uses.

(I never got into Degrassi TNG and sorta wish I had--I'll be interested to see the new look of the show with the lower budget).

The OLTL cast recently has taken to going on, on sites like WeLoveSoaps, about how the diversity and range of stories is what makes their show different and unique bla bla. Which is all good and well but with the characters being removed (mainly Kish but others too) who are being removed, very little of that uniqueness will stay.

• Members

I think its a brilliant idea. If they get a good cast of characters they can pull it off. The show started to go down after season 6 but i do feel this last season was just as good as 6 and better than 1 & 2. But then again im older now. when i was 14 and they were 14 i could ~relate~ lol.

• Members

I thought that Gina was supposed to be given the role of Victoria not Heather. If Maria and co. didn't like Vail, why didn't they get rid of Heather and bring her back with a recast? It's not like they were using her heavily. I know Vail Bloom is no acting goddess but this makes it seem like tptb thought that Vail Bloom was worse than Yvone Zima.

• Members

Exactly Carl. I hate to sound so over the top--but I honestly kinda do feel that having the characters written off in LESS than a year--making NO real attempt to integrate them into the canvas of the show (Hell, AMC did a better job at that with Kevin back in '97--granted they never wouldhave given him a kiss let alone a love scene), etc, for me really does negate a LOT of the good they did do.

Archived