The Lady Gaga Thread

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I still listen to it from time to time while running. It just makes you want to move.

It's not quite fair to compare him to Gaga, because he's a DJ and she writes her own stuff. But it's hilarious that the people interviewing her are, like, "OMGZ! What is this strange music? It's revolutionary!!" Have these journalists listened to anything other than John Mayer? If so, poor them! I feel the need to e-mail them links to Kylie's songs of the past decade.

I do like Gaga's fabulosity, though. We all need glitter and drama in our lives.

• Members

Here's a pretty good Telephone fan video. It features Sisco Gomez, a judge on So You Think You Can Dance UK and Aaron Renfree, a X Factor choreographer who was in S Club 8. I like the choreo, but it's a little off in spots because clearly they were doing it without the music in the public locations. I also wish they'd muted the street sounds during the dance scenes.

Thoughts?

• Members

S Club 8 LOL

Producer files US$35M lawsuit against Grammy Award-winning singer Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga with her Brit Awards for Best International Female, Best Breakthrough Act and Best International Album at the Brit Awards 2010 in London, Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2010. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Alastair Grant

NEW YORK - A songwriter and music producer credited with helping launch pop star Lady Gaga says in a New York City lawsuit she squeezed him out of her lucrative career after he co-wrote some of her songs, came up with her stage name and helped get her record deal.

Rob Fusari filed a US$35 million lawsuit Wednesday against the Grammy Award-winning singer. He says his protege and former girlfriend ditched him as her career soared.

Fusari's lawsuit says he has credits on such hits as Will Smith's "Wild, Wild West" and Destiny's Child's "Bootylicious." It says a friend steered the piano-playing singer to him in March 2006, when she was known by her real name, Stefani Germanotta.

Lady Gaga spokesman Dave Tomberlin hasn't responded to an email sent Thursday seeking comment.

The lawsuit was filed in a Manhattan state court.

:rolleyes: Fusari did do some of my fave Gaga tracks, like Paparazzi and I wondered why she quit working with him, but come on. He got full credit and payment for those tracks--people often don't continue to work with their ex's, plus she's been more successful with RedOne anyway. It seems pathetic to me to file such a lawsuit (and surely the man behind Bootylicious, etc, can't be hurting for dough...)

• Members
I like GaGa, don't get me wrong...

But I don't think putting on a bunch of weird outfits qualifies as a "reinvention." Madonna reinvents herself, but she adopts a new style every album. We've only had one album and an extension LP from GaGa. That's not enough to decide whether she will have staying power or whether she will be the next Madonna.

The real test comes with her next album. She's gonna have to realize that she can't rely on the same tricks she did with the first, nor can she rely on comparisons to Madonna to sell records. She's gonna have to do more than make Poker Face 2.0, make glossy music videos, and wear weird outfits and accessories. And she's gonna have to accept that her second album may not be as good as her first and, instead of breaking down, just tour with it and work on the next one.

Madonna had staying power because she(unlike other popstresses of the 80's) never gave up. If an album or movie didn't quite work out, she focused on the next effort.

• Members

It's #1 in the UK this week, nearly a year after it first hit #1 there.

Though, some of these journalists are really misleading. Gaga's "6 #1 singles" come from Pop AIRPLAY, which was said in a very minor way. On the main singles chart, Billboard's Hot 100 Singles, she only has two #1 singles - Just Dance and Poker Face.

On the UK singles chart, she has 4 #1 singles - Just Dance, Poker Face, Bad Romance, and Telephone.

Jonas Aukerlund talks about the Madonna/Gaga thing:

http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/article.html?a=/17032010/364/telephone-director-hails-gaga-new-madonna.html&e=l_news_dm

• Members

Exactly. +1

Back when she cared more, Madonna always had not only a new look every album, but some sort of new message and some sort of musical output change, while staying true to her dance-pop roots.

Gaga has never really stood for anything, and those "weird outfits" all blend together as her only image as far as I'm concerned.

We'll have to wait until the next real album to see if Gaga has strategically reinvented her image and music. The Fame Monster, though an EP, was basically a continuation of the same sound and style of The Fame.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

All you have to do is look at Mariah Carey as the perfect example of staying stagnant. She, honestly, has only had one major reinvention. There was pre-Butterfly(adult contemporary/ballad singer) and post-Butterfly(R&B, trashy rap girlfriend). Mariah isn't creative enough to step outside of her comfort zone and level to experiment with other styles of music to remain relevant, which is fine if that works for her. Now I still LOVE Mariah(Mimi completely destroyed her for me, IMO), but when you look at her as an artist in the grand scheme of things, she's been doing the exact same thing for well over ten years. That Butterfly sh*t with the musical hooks and stylings that sound so late 1997.

I think if GaGa relies on her same bag of tricks to stay relevant, it may work for the first single out of the gate, but the mainstream(along with these payola stations) will get sick of pimping her songs and move onto the next undiscovered sensation.

Edited by bellcurve

• Members

Well yeah but to be fair to the lady (and I admit all this press comparing her to Madonna hasn't helped) Madonna certainly didn't stand for anything much till at least mid way thru her third album, the True Blue era, and didn't radically change her image or anything between her first three either--certainly not between her first two. Everything now of course happens MUCH faster, it's the nature of the age we live in and people have to make an impression faster.

I do agree with many of your points, but... I mean before Gaga, people used to think Britney was the new Madonna (people=the media). Gaga at least is a better fit there...