Former Soap Writer/Actor Roger Newman passes away

• Members

Not sure if this was posted already.

Link

Roger Newman, 69, an actor and Emmy-winning writer known for his work on the long-running CBS soap opera "The Guiding Light," died March 4 at his home in New York, said his wife, Frances Myers. He had cancer.

A child actor in his native London, Newman played Ken Norris on "The Guiding Light" from 1970 to 1975. He also wrote scripts for the daytime dramas "One Life to Live," " Another World," "Passions" and "The Guiding Light." He was among a team of writers who received an Emmy Award in 1993 for their work on "The Guiding Light."

Newman was praised by critics for his supporting role in a 1972-73 Broadway production of "Butley," starring Alan Bates, that was also staged at the Schubert Theater in Century City in 1973.

Born Aug. 31, 1940, Newman acted on stage and on radio in London as a child, then moved with his family to Montreal after World War II. He later moved to the United States, served in the U.S. Army and became a naturalized citizen. He attended Columbia University before returning to acting.

While working on "The Guiding Light," he met his future wife, an actress who played Peggy Scott Fletcher for 15 years and who also turned to writing soap scripts. They married in 1975.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Was he let go by Conboy in 2003?

I loved the return of Uncle Ken. I don't know how true to the character it was but it was someone for Holly to play off of and it led to one of my all time favorite GL camp moments, when this tough old man with his cane beat the crap out of smug Mick Santos to get back the X-rated videotape Mick had of Blake and Ben Warren.

He was a great actor even to those last appearances.

Odd this happens not long after Caroline McWilliams/his onscreen wife Janet passed.

• Members

I remember Michael Zaslow personally thanking him in his Emmy speech in 1994, along with Nancy Curlee, Stephen Demorest, Patrick Mulcahey, Nancy Williams Watt, and Courtney Simon. He wrote some great episodes for GL in the early 90's.

And no surprise, I beleive he's Robert Newman's brother.

RIP.

• Members

I'm not sure if he's Robert Newman's brother.

The story was awful but the actors managed to make it work as camp, since they played it straight, and it was also nice to see some of Holly's family back, briefly.

• Members

Thanks for reminding of that scene...I freakin' LOVED IT. It was nice, for Holly, who had been adrift since Roger left, to actually have family to play off of (Blake doesnt count as she was being written as back to preRoss days.)

I think I am the lone person on earth who like the Nursery Rhyme Stalker storyline. I don't see it as that damaging of Holly, she was the mastermind behind the whole thing, so she kept her smarts, and she didnt really do anything that bad like kill someone (Jenna doesnt count as it was totally Jenna dumbness to get in the car and, I never liked Jenna post 1993 when she became all about a freakin face cream and Buzz for her duration on the show.) I dont think the writers explained her psychosis that well (she should have been doing all of these things in a blackout which she would attibute to being drunk..) Or maybe it was because it was the last days before the show became a total 1970s ABC piece or [!@#$%^&*] show about a cartoon mob and fairy princes.

But loved Newman as Ken, an old man with a can and an attitude. The only problem is, he stopped Holly, and wondered out into the woods to never be seen again. B &U E were too lazy to even have Blake explain, "Uncle Ken went to take care of Grandma and to beat up oily thugs with his cane."

Also loved the years that Newman was a writer on the show..why later regimes didnt try to copy that era, but instead copied other shows and cheap gimmicks, I will never know.

• Members

Heh just remembered one of my favorite scenes the Nursey Rhyme Stalker is when when Annie (the woefully miscast Signy Coleman in the role by this time) went to save the kids, but once the kids realized she was Annie "with a new face" they all wanted to stay with Holly instead.

Archived