AMC: DC is really out and AMC next soap to go

• Members

I think most of the soaps already have a reduced taping schedule to help. Blackout weeks here and there and a blackout on Fridays. It is possible that the sorasing of the kids and recasting of some is to help supplement the cast with younger less expensive talent. They aren't bringing back Julia Barr, Cady McClain full time. While it's a blow to the show, I'm sure losing David Canary's salary along with thorston Kaye and Alica Menshaw will help, though they repicked up Rebecca Buddig. But I'd doubt AMC is going anywhere this year at all. But they've already cut salaries, they are losing some expensive vets. I do this ABC prefers AMC to OLTL, due to what they see as the pedigree.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great post!

I agree. The move to LA just happened what 3 weeks ago? The LA material hasn't even started airing yet so to call the show basically canceled anyway is premature.

The loss of David Canary is a blow, and may be the reason Lorraine Broderick was brought back to help shore up the show, but I don't think it will be fatal.

• Members

So, you're getting people riled up over nothing. You think Susan is going to leave with no info to back that up and you think Lorraine Broderick can't set up the next generation of legacy characters. You also don't think Wendy Riche or Shelly Curtis will join AMC with again no evidence to back that up. That led you to claim the show is doomed?!?! :lol:

• Members

I also don't think any of these shows want to go away from the comfort zone of established soap writers that are "dependable" and be risky and try someone or something new, so that limits the options. Top that with what you said in terms of ABC's management style and the state AMC is in and that makes the short list even shorter.

• Members

Exactly--the way it was worded gives the impression that they basically set up an open application for HWs to AMC and everyone was scared away because of how "damaged" it was, thinking it was a hopeless cause--which is utter bollocks since there have been shows in worse states that have come back. But I suspect where the rumour started was they did ask a number of names "in the biz" before Swajeski and Kreizman who all said no for various reasons (one probably being Broderick, and we already know from over five years back she said she couldn't work full time under the Frons pressure). Seeing how imaginative these execs are I hardly suspect S and K were at the bottom of some LOOOONG line the way the gossip makes it sound, though obviously they weren't among their first choices. (the fact alone that HWs still make very sizeable salaries would make me think if they had truly asked a dozen or more writers, someone would have jumped at the chance).

I'm confused by the statement above--I thought Wendy Riche WAS coming on the show under JHC? (the poster above implies that she was asked and wouldn't...)

• Members

No. No one was scared.

People just :rolleyes: at the proposal, considering Frons and how it is to work for him.

Many of those ex-HWs accumulated tonnes of money, they don't need it really all that much. Especially not the big and good (if such exist) names.

• Members

I just really hope Adam Chandler goes out with a bang, whether it be final in terms of a death, or a really strong storyline to usher the character out of town.

I also hope they bring back some characters in addition to Brooke to usher him off. Kelly Ripa was just here so I doubt she'd have any quams doing an episode or two. Maybe Adam goes to live with her out West? Wouldn't that be ironic... David Canary doesn't want to go to LA, but that's where Adam goes in AMC world lol.

I mean I've expected this for a year now, but man Davide Canary's last day is going to be probably the hardest episode I've ever had to watch on this show. Adam Chandler is such a staple, how does the show really recover from losing him in its current state. I don't think it does.

• Members

Knowing JHC, however, probably not. Knowing JHC, Adam will simply not appear one day when he should. No farewell scenes, no on-camera explanations ("It's a good thing Adam's living in California these days, or he'd freak over what Annie's up to!"), just...bye.

Archived