AMC: DC is really out and AMC next soap to go

• Members

Oh my I hope not and I know you're kidding(well half kidding). I'm just shocked that nothing really has been announced but there have been so many changes with AMC, perhaps they didn't want to drop this bombshell at the same time.

I really hope they give the character his due. I'd actually like to see him ushered off with Brooke but in lieu of that, having Adam die off and it being the setup for a big battle for Chandler Enterprises I think would be great. It would give his departure some long term implications to the canvas.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One Life To Live has always lived in the shadow of AMC.... at times unjustified, but its just how things are. AMC has alot of its name recognition mainly because of Susan Lucci. Long after all the soaps are gone, when people think of the golden era of daytime dramas, AMC and GH will always come to mind before OLTL. Unfortunate, but true. This is why even though OLTL may be a bit more profitable than AMC, I think it will go first just because AMC is a much more marketable brand. There is more of a chance to save AMC than there is OLTL BECAUSE AMC has that name and even in the worst of times it always will. Even with AMC in a total mess, they still can do a View episode surrounding it, they still can have these events like Paley and NY Times.... people still know AMC and it still resonates.

• Members

While I agree with the name recognition, I think the days of keeping AMC because it's perceived as a more marketable brand are over. ABC is a business and I just think they are going to make decision based on money and not sentimentality. If AMC's brand presents more value, why the difficulties with advertising sales(if that's actually accurate). THat said, does anyone believe ABC is cancelling any show this year on the tails of ATWT's annoucement. I highly doubt that's going to happen. And I am sure with the relocation and the new writers, the network I expect has given AMC an opportunity to improve it's numbers and that takes a bit of time.

What I find strange about AMC's alleged financial difficulties it that the person responsible for the financial health of the show hasn't been touched, yet how many writing changes have they had. Well ultimately I expect it's Brian Frons and not JC, but it's interesting to me regardless that only writers have taken a fall which may just be an indicatation of JC's limited power.

• Members

I'm not getting anyone all riled up over nothing. I never gave any time frame or said "AMC will be gone next Tuesday." I just passed along some information that I thought was interesting that I obtained from a source that I consider to be credible. Like I said, in my initial post, take this info as you wish, but it's pretty clear that not just from what I've posted but from the current actions that have taken place with this show, the writing is clearly on the wall.

And no, I don't think Wendy Riche would join AMC nor would Shelly Curtis. I could be wrong, but IMO, I don't see them joining this show just like Lorraine Broderick isn't remaining head writer. Obviously if the rumor is no talented HW wants the job at AMC, no talented EP and Director are gonna take one either.

And did I say Susan Lucci was leaving? I believe I said not to be surprised if she leaves after David Canary.

And no, Lorraine cannot set up the next generation of legacy characters because that's obviously not something that is done in three to six months, it's something that takes time.

AMC doesn't need me to claim the show is doomed, the show has been doomed since McTavish returned for round 3 and when B&E raped and buried it and when Pratt's stories fell apart.

• Members

I know you've been here long enough CSF to know most people on this board is not going to take what anyone says without some substantial proof to back it up. That being said, everything you say makes total sense and while I am not inclined to think AMC will be gone anytime soon, I definitely believe their financial situation is precarious and I definitely believe we are taking less than 3 years before it and probably ABC Daytime as a whole is probably gone.

I still maintain when Megan was given a 2nd go in 1997 is what sealed this show's inevitable fate. Its been a downward trend since then.... its been slow, and we have had periods that have been fantastic.... but the majority of the last 13 or so years have been utter train wrecks.

• Members

AMC's demos are the worst of the 3 ABC soaps though. The move truly is a "band-aid" the actual problems with the show I don't see being fixed, cause IMO I don't think Frons thinks there is really anything truly wrong. From what I read he wanted to keep Pratt, was pleased with his work, that speaks VOLUMES to me.

• Members

I don't think that any of the networks think that anything is wrong with the soaps. I think that they have rightly concluded that more women in the workplace, an aging women viewers, and competition with cable have reduced the number of people watching. If GH can barely get its demos to budge with all the buzz about a hot young actor like James Franco guest starring, then ABC and the advertisers won't blame Guza, they decide that the audience in the key demo doesn't exist any more. ABC's production cuts are a way to try and save its soaps, but at some point in the next couple years, it won't be enough and the soaps will be cancelled.

• Members

It's been extremely frustrating that JHC has remained for the show through 3 (4?) fairly crappy writing regimes. But Frons, maybe because he sees himself as the ultimate EP, doesn't seem to believe that changing EPs does much.

"People just at the proposal, considering Frons and how it is to work for him.

Many of those ex-HWs accumulated tonnes of money, they don't need it really all that much. Especially not the big and good (if such exist) names. "

Yep :)

• Members

Nobody wanted the headwriter job at AMC? By nobody, I suppose that is referring to the same tired hacks that have been switching from soap to soap and getting nowhere. US soaps need to take a leaf out of the UK soaps, injecting new talent like Bryan Kirkwood (Hollyoaks, now going to EastEnders) and people that have risen up the ranks (like Deiderick Santer, EastEnders) has kept the genre fresh. Look at how well Ron Carlivati did when he first started as HW, or even LML's early days at Y&R (I know it's a tired example that's quickly losing it's relevance).

Hell, I'd take the job of HW at AMC if nobody else will do it. I sure as hell wouldn't be doing cousins falling in love and insta couples that switch from week to week.

Archived