OLTL: Discussion for the week January 18

• Members

I was thinking the same thing about the AW discussion, and that is my favorite show ever. I could discuss it all day, but shouldn't it be in an AW thread? lol

Back to Marty and Todd's scenes yesterday....didn't susan haskell return a couple years ago briefly for a trial against Todd where she said she forgave him and moved on? Or am I confused? I thought she was called in his defense. Granted, since then, she was held hostage and abused for a second time so i expect her to change her opinion of him, but to now say again that she does NOT forgive him for the rape...

can someone elaborate for me about the earlier trial? Wasn't it Blair that brought him to trial and then Marty showed up to testify for him? Or am i just completely wrong...lol

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Marty came back briefly in 2004 to serve as the worst possible character witness for Todd, in a story in which Todd and Blair had had rough "hate sex" and Blair, who had a brain tumor at the time, lost track of her perception and believed for a time she'd been raped. Todd went back on trial for rape and Evangeline called in Marty to serve as - yes - an official "psych consult" for her rapist. It was idiotic. But IIRC, Marty said back then that she understood him and believed he could not rape again (the joke, apparently, is on her), but when asked if she'd forgiven him, she broke down and admitted she hadn't been able to do that yet.

Nor would any forgiveness be valid after the second rape.

• Members

What is all this crapola with even Cole offering up excuses as to what a victim Todd is? Todd tortures himself over what he did to Marty? When did that happen? When he tried to off himself, over a year ago, which was just a transparent attempt to get people to pity him? He doesn't care about what he did to Marty. He was all but gleeful about it yesterday.

Why do they have to keep having characters try to tell us how to feel about Todd? If he is supposed to be this great father and this hot stud of a man to Tea, why can't they just leave it that way, instead of also trying to pass off some sort of remorse or shame which TSJ does not care about bringing to the role, and which the writers never bother to give Todd?

This is just a black hole. Tea does nothing but pull faces over the glory of Todd. Matthew, who at one point had the most interesting story on the show, now sits around while people talk about Todd and the overaged miracle child.

• Members

I love TSJ but from the few clips I've been able to stomach, I can tell he's somewhere between checked out and actively passive-aggressing through some heinous acting choices. I'm convinced that the character of Todd Manning eventually chews away at the resolve of the actors playing him because I remember when RH hit this phase too.

• Members

Ugh.

I am getting rather weary of the habitual, sanctimonious Todd complaints. Every character on OLTL whose been around for at least a year and is older than 12 has questionable past. The same way some accuse the show of using other characters to pimp and prop Todd is the same way this board constantly excuses the questionable antics of these same characters while launching missile attacks at Todd.

Let's look at who he regularly interacts with:

Blair:

A flagrant tramp who on a regular basis walks away from surrounding drama to get her some available dick...a liar & known con artist....a gold digger....and tries to bully & intimidate other women. The whole reason she and Todd ever got together to begin with is because SHE had dollar signs in her head after finding out that he was heir to the Lord fortune and most of their on/off again relationship happened because SHE initiated it....and when it suits her she deliberately instigates EVERY nefarious trait Todd has to her advantage.

Nora:

Regularly uses, abuses & violates her position and authority to fulfill losing vendettas against her enemies (Todd, Lindsay)....and uses those same measures to bend the law for her friends and ally's. Meanwhile she's cheated on just about every husband she's ever had - so her virtue isn't exactly spotless enough to condescend. If I miss Lindsay for ANY reason it's because she pointed out what a one-sided perception everybody had of Nora!

Marty:

Walking cliche. A former soap bad girl who whimiscally morphs into a self righteous Mother Theresa after being raped. Talk about the show sweeping someones history under the rug. When was the last time she was taken to task for her past?

Starr:

Despite how "golden" the show has made her this past year...she should have been sent to juvie by the time she entered high school. She's what happens when parents don't take the strap to their kids backsides when they're little. She's obnoxious as all get out and only exists in the irrational moment.

Cole:

The epitome of loser and a hypocrite. No father would approve of him for his daughter. Steroids...near sexual assault...lies...drugs...knocked up his HS girlfriend....crippled his friend on a bender. But just like his mom...on a regular basis he gets allotted room to act righteous. He also had no trouble conspiring with and egging Todd on for his own personal gain when Starr was gonna dump their baby on Marcie...AND....to be vindictive when she tried to get in Schuyler's pants. I don't expect him to like Todd....but he's in no position to shake his finger at ANYBODY.

THIS is why I'm GLAD that Todd usually walks and gets away with his misdeeds.

The hypocrisy and sanctimoniousness of these alleged "good" folks & "saints" (and their supporters) make me want to see the "bad guy" get away with it!!!

There's a saying....."when you point the finger, there are 3 fingers pointing back @ you." That's how I feel about most of the characters who blast Todd, AND about the posters who rally and cheer for THEM while acting like Todd is the one who is no good and that they deserve better than to be in his orbit. Look @ the inner circle he's surrounded by....and look @ the things they do....before acting like they can do better than to be caught up with him and his drama. At least Todd for the most part knows that he's scum....the rest of these people think roses grow out of their dung. I'm sick of people acting like his usual circle is better than him. They're not!...they're not!!...they're not!!!

• Members

I've always loved Todd even when I hated him but for me the real problem is the writing. It doesn't make sense for anyone to promote Todd anymore, not after the crap Carlivati has put the character through. Before Ron, Todd had two "tentpole" characteristics: 1.) his genuine remorse about the rape and commitment to never victimizing Marty again and 2.) his unconditional love for Starr. Ron destroyed both of these and - with them - Todd's rootability.

I agree that most of the characters on the show have no right to the moral high ground. Unfortunately ABCD doesn't do morally gray and they don't do consequences. You're either a hero or a villain because in the Fronsverse, viewers are too stupid to handle the subtleties.

Archived