Y&R: Episode discussion, week of January 18, 2010

• Members

The problem is they have tried to pass half of these women off as the great loves of his life. Billy is such a poorly written character, and with the way he treats women, it makes all these women look like they have no self-esteem if they go near him. It's just more writing which suggests women have no brains or control over their bodies, while men who behave the same way are written as studs.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've only seen where they have tried to pass off Mackenzie as the great love of his life and that was only based on the nostalgia for David and Ashley, not any real spark between the current two. I have seen Billy and Chloe as two self destructive characters who hooked up, not some great love. That might be different if they built a real marriage before the unnecessary addition of Mackenzie at the wedding but Billy and Chloe were never given a chance. But all the love stories on this show are a universal fail.

• Members

When Billy first came back I got the impression they were pushing Lily as his great love, which was then dropped, as that whole quad rushed to an end. Then he was pushed towards Chloe, and they tried to pass off bonding moments between them. I've never seen any feelings for her on his part but they sometimes drop hints in that direction, with the clumsy writing that she "gets" him while Mac never can. Then Mac was his great love, which is also now thrown aside.

It's almost painful watching them try to write for this character.

• Members

Sorry I don't think Victor or EB's return could save the episode from being crappy, which I though it was. Katherine's woe as me act was hideous, the confrontation scenes between Victor, Adam, and Nick was a huge letdown. At least they somehow halfheartedly managed to hit the Phyllis beat on Victor's return. Neil and Ashley are okay together, but I just can't see some Neil/Ashley/Victor thing occurring and I hope it doesn't. I actually liked Tucker's smugness if only because he managed to outwit a bunch of dimwitted characters presently on the canvas. Of course, none of the should be dimwitted and have only become so under this regime.

I wasted sixty mins of my life because I watched it live today. At least it induced a good afternoon nap for me.

• Members

Not a chance.

Scene after scene was devoted to how St. Chloe "got" Billy & that all mean Mackenzie wanted to do was change poor Billy unlike St. Chloe who only wanted to marry him because she TRULY loved & understood him with all her pure & benevolent heart. :rolleyes:

What "real marriage"?

Chloe KNEW Billy liked to sleep around & had NO problem with it UNTIL SHE decided she wanted him to change FOR HER after they got married.

• Members

Maybe in real life, but in soap world it seems like a lot. It would be one thing if these 6 women were dayplayers, but their not except for one. He has burned through future potential love intrest for the sake of plot.

I never thought Lily was suppose to be one of the great loves of Billy's life. She was just used as one of the reasons for the Billy and Cane rivialry that you loved. The only women that are used as Billy's great loves are Mac and Chloe.

• Members

It just seemed odd to me at the time, because they had the "cute" texting crap with Billy/Lily to try to build a story, and they also gave Billy a past with Lily's female rivals, Amber and Chloe. They seemed to almost be deliberately putting him in the same story position Cane was in, in terms of how Lily might see him, only he was the bad boy to Cane's self-righteous hero role. I felt like they were setting up one of those stories Sheffer loves where the "man with balls" is the real winner compared to the dud.

• Members

A fling that had Billy falling all over himself to be the man he thought Lily deserved & Lily acting like a wounded bird every time Billy failed to meet her high expectations.

TPTB may not have meant for Billy & Lily to be a great love relationship but that sure didn't stop them from writing it that way.

TPTB also dropped Chloe's Cane obsession which had been built up for over a year in addition to any Billy/Lily feelings so clearly there were agendas at play.

• Members

Nick: Why does Billy keep straightening my tie?

(Rafe and Adam smirk in the background)

This is how I remember it too. At the time I felt like they were trying to build up to something with Cane/Lily/Billy, with Cane possibly developing feelings for Chloe. At one time I even wondered if the two women would fight over Billy, with Cane moved along. Then the whole thing was wrapped up very, very fast.

Archived