Y&R: Episode discussion, week of January 18, 2010

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL wow Mark you're really working on "turning" all blames away from specific sources aren't you? SMH.

Anyhoo, The "surprising" Tucker Katherine switch was so lacking for me. WR is trying and i get that he is new to the show and all but certain things fall flat (and yes even I have a problem with the hair). He struggles to remember dialogue (no biggie he can improve and again he's new) and maybe I'm nitpicking but he's a bit delayed at times it seems on his "actions" in character. Certain mannerisms are noticeable at least to me. The aspects I did like were Neil's and the Abbott's reactions as well as a bit of internal conflict it causes for JT. I hate that they are walking that line from JT's perspective of Victor vs Tucker though. What's wrong with JT partnering up with Paul again? Does JT view his past as some sort of job regression? Why is this not addressed for the character if he's going to be supporting this story they are writing? They could do better than that. Nikki's defense of Victor, very in character however they need to stop tiptoeing and go in for the kill. Regardless of what-ever EB thinks is right for the character , the bigger picture is the story. Summer's "accident" was what they used to drive their plot and it was shown to be indirectly caused by Victor, there is no breezing over the issue if Phyllis doesn't confront Victor she'll look like a coward and that is the opposite of what Phyllis should be.

• Members

I think CBS cares that Muhney no longer looks like he's burrowing out of the ground to see if it's spring or not. I can't blame them. And judging by the positive response to him since then, they were right.

What was the point of all that crap about Neil moving away from Newman and being his own man? He was groveling yet again to Victor.

• Members

You said it, and I was thinking it! I HATED that scene. Today was good in places, bad in others. Vail was :wub: :wub: :wub: Alvin was so right about her slutty librarian vibe. It WORKS for her, and she needs to play it for all it's worth. Jeanne was stellar today, and I'm peeing myself with excitement that Mac has called BROCK. They better bring him on, and not be teasing us. The Adam/Sharon scenes were cringe-worthy, he's STILL annoying me with his facial expressions. FINALLY we have a final scene that is done PROPERLY. I'm ready for an Ashley/Victor bitch fight over the ranch. I wish they'd had a scene of Paul putting the screws to that nurse... It would have been great. But of course, we couldn't have that... because Billy has to wave his dick all around town AGAIN.

• Members

Didn't you love that Ashley SMILED at Victor's proclamation about wanting his home back? She SMILED!!

While Ash has been mad at TGVN over the years, I don't think they've ever played adversaries. What fun that's gonna be.

:lol: @ Classicmoment. I'm not trying to turn blame away here. In this case, Muhney SPECIFICALLY said "CBS" gave him the note to play his blindness differently.

On another note, let me say that Y&R is finding some couples. I'm no defender of the shock-and-awe storytelling or the pacing, but there are some really interesting things (to me).

Couples:

- Billy & Heather

- Billy and Victoria

- JT & Mac

- Neil and Ashley

- Paul and Nina (though under-played)

- Kay and Murphy (they're not new)

- Adam and Sharon (yup, she's stupid as sh!t, but I still like them together...especially like today when he's goofy)

- Phyllis and Nick (yup, I still like them...and it's 100% due to Phyllis at this point)

I think there is a lot to explore about whether Victor and Nikki really have common ground and can forgive past hurts. I hope that gets some screentime.

From a storyline perspective, I can't lie...there are things that intrigue me:

- the plot to beat down Tucker

- JT finding his place in this new world

- who is Ryder and Daisy's mom? (I don't care about Ryder and Daisy proper)

- the explosion around the reveal of Adam

- who is on the hunt for Chance, and why?

I personally thought it was great that half the cast -- mostly senior players -- were all on one set today.

ETA: I also cheered with joy when Mac called her dad. That is what WOULD happen. This is what SHOULD happen. I hope he comes...if just for a day.

• Members

Billy and anyone it seems. <_<

I think all these couples are so poorly developed and we never actually get to their "courtship" play out. It's like they decide this is who we want to pair this person with, and it happens. I also find most of the couples on this show mismatched and boring.

To me, these are all Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Again, it mainly speaks to how badly developed mostly everything on this show is. It's really hard to care and invest in anything on Y&R anymore, especially with the way the show is written these days.

• Members

Heather is a meaningless character these days. The only purpose of this fling with Billy is apparently to remind us of how "hot" Billy is, and because someone at the show gets off on women throwing themselves at slime.

Billy/Victoria are dead weight together and seem to exist only for more Victor/Billy posturing and because they need us to see how pathetic JT is compared to a stud like Billy.

It's the evil cattle ranchers, I'm sure.

This story is a constant reminder to me that Y&R is not under any mandate to speed up stories. It just limps on and on.

Sorry Mark, I didn't mean that to sound so dismissive.

I did like the way Ashley handled Victor today.

I really do wish she'd let him have the ranch and move into a home of her own. She was terrorized in that place. I know it's about control, but still.

• Members

Yes, I LOVED that... Eileen has been on FIRE lately, and her reading of subtext in her scenes has been nothing less than stellar.

For once I'd like a TRUE good guy be the one who saves the day (That's what Bill Bell used to write). I just KNOW that to get Braeden back on board, they had to promise him that VICTOR would be the man to ride in on the white horse, with balls the size of grapefruits, to save poor, doddering old Katherine out of the clutches of Tucker. It makes me sick. the GOOD GUYS used to be the ones who saved the day. People like BROCK AND SNAPPER that saved Chris Brooks from a life of white slavery in the opium fields of Bolivia through evil Rose Deville. I'd love more than ANYTHING for them to surprise us and have BROCK be the one to save Katherine, but I know it won't happen. No... they have to recycle the SL from 2002 where Victor had to save poor Julia from a hostile takeover.

• Members

Oh, I would LOVE if the writers had Nick and Phyllis talk about something other than Sharon. For three years they had their own lives and their own stories ( for the most part, love em or hate them) but Maria Bell really loves/wants Sharon and Nick (or so I've heard)so I expect to hear the same conversation or perhaps others along the same theme that always involve Sharon. You know, what she's doing wrong in her life, where she's living, who she is married to, how she is ruining the life of Noah and my very favorite, is Nick jealous of Adam for being with Sharon.

So happy that Victor is back so everyone has something else to talk about other than Sharon. I don't even hate her. Just tired of her being a part of almost everyone's story on the show.

Archived