Y&R: Soapnet interviews Michael Muhney

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK. First of all, it is only a soap opera. Michael Muhney ain't Rudolph Hesse.

Secondly, principles? In Hollywood? Really? Bwahahaha! MM doesn't have a duty to anybody except himself. You think Eric Braeden and Melody Thomas Scott walked out of Y&R on principle? Braeden couldn't stand the thought that Victor might be indirectly responsible for Colleen's death? Nope. It was a money dispute. MM defends his second-string character (who will probably be written out of the show sooner rather than later) on a relatively unimportant Daytime soap because he has to. He is promoting the show and the upcoming SL and he is probably contractually obliged to do press.

Seriously, you guys need to check out ABC and some of the BS that comes out of the actors' mouths over there. Sarah Brown was all "Guza is writing me the most moving/exciting SL ever. My character is so complex/interesting. This is Shakespeare, y'all!" Next thing you know, she's asking to be let out of her contract early. And now she's on B&B! Funny old world.

• Members

Re-read what I said. The bottom line, again, since I have to repeat obviously, is that he needs to shut up because he isn't doing any favours to himself and no favours to this regime, which only becomes more incompetent when they have to enlist their B-list star to help them pimp their stories. He doesn't have to, at all, he chooses to. Different. By choosing to he paints himself as attention-seeking, money-grabbing insecure actor. And nothing wrong if he wants it. But he doesn't. He wants to be seen as this method actor who is bringing greatness to soap world.

Again, you can choose: have principles and be unemployed, d'oh, or shut up and save yourself from being a hypocrite. Or perhaps you want to be seen as such so then we don't have a problem here.

And it's Rudolph Heß.

• Members

<_<

No one is saying Michael Muhney should have a duty to the audience. I think the point is that if he doesn't want to be judged for defending a [!@#$%^&*] story, then either find a different role or act in, but keep your mouth shut about how great you think the work is. There's the right way and the wrong way to promote yourself while, at the same time, respecting the audience that you are trying to sell this story to. And let the audience decide what this story is.

If he wants to go on and on about how great his story is and how great the writers are, good for him. But he(and especially his fans and those who feel the need to defend him when fans pick him and this story apart) should be prepared for the obvious negative feedback from his attempt to defend the vile actions of his character.

And MTS and Eric Braeden have nothing to do with it. But since you brought them up, no one said they walked out because of only principal. It was money too. They were looking out for themselves; but they felt like they deserved better. What Braeden and MTS were feeling is exactly the way the viewers were feeling: unappreciated and shortchanged. That's why the some of the internet fan base empathized with them. We knew it was a money issue. But for two people who worked for the same company for over 20 years; you can't just tell me it was ONLY about money. They felt completely disrespected by the way SONY executives came at them.

And I gotta love these anti-soap comments, Cat. Tell us how you really feel. <_<

• Members

Well, you guys stop jumping down my throat just because I do not rush to condemn Michael Muhney when --gasp-- he is promoting his current SL.

Yes, Y&R is a load of balls right now and I don't particularly care for his characterization. But I think it is pretty hypocritical of people to attack me for being "anti-soap" when I just got an earful about how my statement about Michael Muhney just doing his job is akin to the passive support of totalitarian regimes and some such nonsense.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, I do think Daytime soaps are unimportant -- to the world at large. They are important to me on a personal level, though. In fact, if they were to go off the air tomorrow, I don't know what I would do. That's not a flippant statement. I have grown up with some of these shows and it would be, quite simply, traumatic. If I were anti-soap, why would I participate on this board and talk soaps with other posters?

• Members

No wonder those of us who don't read the magazine interviews and bullshit are missing pieces from this regime's storylines. We're only getting half of it on screen and the rest we are supposed to go searching for in PR. It's like a treasure hunt.

I want Egan back, even doing terrible things there was just something about him that made me hope he wouldn't get caught. Now with MM, I just want Adam to get caught asap so that this crap can end and he can get off my screen.

Archived