ALL: Who was your "first" soap couple?

• Members

I asked this question on another board, and I loved reading the diverse answers and time frames, so I figured, what the heck, why not ask it here? What couple drew you into soaps?

My mom was a stay-at-home mom for a while as I was growing up and she would watch the entire ABC Daytime lineup. (She now only still watches AMC, which she has seen since its debut.) I watched with her as a kid of 7 and immediately loved Cliff and Nina. Loved their first and third (Cortlandt Manor [on location], #1; The NYC Tavern on the Green, #3) weddings and just was hooked. Many couples came after: Greg/Jenny, Mason/Julia, John/Isabella, Zander/Emily, and Robin/Patrick, for me...but Cliff and Nina were my first, so they hold a special spot for me.

Who was your first pairing that you loved and got you into watching soaps?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't been watching soaps for long, only since 2003 when I was 10. I would have to say JR and Babe on AMC. Loved them all around, even when they were against each other. Always liked Jabe, they were the first couple I got into....and then of course Zendall in their earlier days, still love Zendall and I always will!

Guest dc cubs

The first episode I ever watched of Days of Our Lives was when Bo stopped Hope from marrying Larry Welch. I was then hooked on Days and loved Bo and Hope. However, now I'm not minding their breakup one bit and I'm looking forward to Bo and Carly.

My all time favorite couple on Days was Jack and Jennifer the early years.

• Members

Liza and Travis from SFT were my very first soap couple because SFT was my first soap. But the first one that I truly invested in and laughed with and cried with was Cliff and Nina. I found them at the time Nina was going blind and Palmer was delaying her treatment so he could get her away from Cliff. *sigh* I hated him with the heat of a thousand suns for that.

Awww Morgan and Kelly. Talk about tortured couples. I loved them but they made me LOATHE Anne Murray. LOL!

• Members

Palmer was uber creepy in the beginning regarding Nina. Seemed almost incestuous! I found a clip with Palmer and his Dobermans, calling out Daisy on YouTube! Along with Nina and Cliff at some costume ball along with Myra holding a seance. Good times!

• Members

Palmer and the dobermans. Classic! He was gangsta before gangsta was cool. I think part of what made my love Cliff/Nina so much was the fact that Nina was diabetic. Diabetes runs in my family and my mom was always very "protective" of Nina. When Palmer played with her diagnosis I honestly think my mother wanted to climb inside the TV and smack the ish out of him. I practically had to hold her back!

• Members

Wow this is a hard one...

I think there are two. The ORIGINAL Liz and Lucky (in the 1998/1999 era). When Liz's rape was going on (back when it was a really epic and good soryline), the bond that brought them together was really sweet to me. It's too bad that they have ruined Liz and Lucky forever now.

Georgie and Dillon, GH. I know it wasnt really a classic love story, but the thing was that they were sooo in love, and so young, and that just made it really likeable to me, because I was young at the time. In the end, I didn't like the way that they ended, but when they were a new couplde and they used to go on little expeditions, it was like a true 50s movie romance.

Also, I really liked Ben and Viki on OLTL, but then he left and that fizzled. But I liked them.

Those are the ones I remember really liking early on.

• Members

Go, mom! LOL! But, yeah, that was an interesting twist, having Nina be diabetic. I have the AMC coffee table book. Maybe I'll drag it out, as I can't recall if it was that that led her to go to the hospital and meet Cliff or something else. I am thinking something else, as Cliff was a surgeon...

Archived