December 7-11, 2009

Toups

• Members

I am not going to assume the worst because OLTL had a very bad week, but it saddens me that the show is currently in last place in total viewers and the 18-49 demo. I am happy for AMC though as well as Days. If NBC cancels Days that would be a true crime considering the network is in shambles. Hopefully Brian Frons is being truthful that he's not planning on canceling any of his soaps.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

If DAYS keeps up these numbers (and ABC cancels OLTL soon - last airing in Sept 2010 with ATWT), there could be a potential bidding war between CBS, NBC, ABC - who wants the 2nd highest show in demos! Could get juicy come spring/summer 2010.

• Members

I agree. I mean the show has improved, I feel Tomlin/Whitesell are the first since C&B that actually have a long-term plan so in a way I feel "safe" with the current regime. That is something I haven't felt thanks to all the backstage drama for the last 5-6 years.

But I still find myself bored most of the time. If it weren't for Victor and Stefano I would probably not even bother to watch, John Aniston is a Greek God!

• Members

I feel like as long as Zucker has power at NBC, they may want DAYS gone. Illogical programming decisions are how he goes through the day. CBS seems to be tired of their soaps and ABC has this Aisha Tyler show they want to put somewhere. I guess there's a shot with CBS, but that they seem to be more interested in stuff like smug Nancy Grace might suggest their feelings on any future soaps.

• Members

The story just came out of nowhere, and it is a wretched mess which has damaged everyone involved. If your only reaction to a story is "Why?" then something went wrong. I still have no idea who decided having an abusive/deadbeat father painted as a hero, with stuff like, "Ross destroyed a kayak" as a contrast, was anything close to good writing.

• Members

Glad you agree. I also think that's why CBS canned ATWT so early. Not to mention Moonves already has a relationship with SONY(via CBS/Paramount's Syndication Arm).

I guess time will tell. It'd be so dramatic to see it happen.

It's too bad Moonves doesn't have a brain and decide to do Big Brother Five Days a week, 52 weeks a year, with every 13 weeks being a new set of houseguests. I guess they don't want to cheapen the brand.

I heard Aisha Tyler's pilot tested poorly. But that won't stop them from going after another personality for a talk show.

And the CBS/Paramount Nancy Grace show is syndicated, right?

• Members

I think Frons made that statement because he meant well. I believe that he likes soaps and wants them to succeed. Yet there is nothing that he can do to change the reality of our shifting social demographics. Add to this that he doesn't solely have the authority to cancel any show. The financial bottom line and the availability of cheaper programming will decide the fate of OLTL, AMC and GH.

I find it hard to believe that there will be bidding war over Days. CBS and ABC want cheaper programming. As much as I am thrilled with Days' resurgence, I don't believe that it will last very long and the networks likely think the same. I can't see CBS or ABC bidding on Days when it will cost more to produce than any alternative programming that they could find.

Truer words never spoken. John Aniston is a superstar!

• Members

It's nice to see ATWT continue to go up in the ratings. The cancellation news came mid-week of that ratings period. Good to see 2.0's again and the show going back up on Friday. Fans tuned to see NutMeg/Damian/Lily drama. I also think Molly's return coupled with Simon's return has boosted ATWT ratings. Carjack living together didnt hurt either. Did CBS pull the plug too soon? I'd love ATWT to continue rising. It's already tied with GH who everyone believes will be last standing of all soaps cause it is the cheapest to produce.

I still don't see the appeal in AMC. I still say OLTL is a better show.

• Members

I had a feeling all soaps would go up. Remember, last week large portions of the country experienced a *massive* snow/sleet/ice/rain/wind storm. It hit just about everyone from CA to NY, and everyone was advised to stay home. Made it a perfect time for people to get caught up on their soaps. I'm thrilled that Days bounced back. Appears that the previous week's ratings just represented an "off" week. I think Days' 2.4 Monday rating was its highest rated episode of the year. Let's hope for more snow this winter!

• Members

I wonder if CBS has something up their sleeves with this early cancellation of "As the World Turns"? They have given viewers notice that ATWT will end in ten months; CBS didn't announce the cancellation of "Guiding Light" until April 1 (ironically enough April Fools Day), just a mere five months before the final episode aired.

While I don't think NBC will cancel "Days of Our Lives", as some have suggested, producer Sony may want to shop it around. If they do, CBS would seem like a logical choice, since Sony also produces "The Young and the Restless". CBS would also just happen to have a one-hour time slot available - the old ATWT slot - just by coincidence? Does CBS and Sony know something that NBC and everyone doesn't? "Days" is indeed one of NBC's few bright spots: 3.1 million is not bad when compared to the rest of the network's schedule; more people are probably watching "Days" than Conan's "Tonight Show". It would be in NBC's best interest to keep "Days" around - for now - even if that meant putting up a fight for it.

I wouldn't be too fearful that ABC would cancel "One Life to Live" just because it is currently in last place, even though the last several soaps that got the ax were all occupants of that honor ("Port Charles", "Passions", GL and now ATWT). With only six soaps on the air, after ATWT's demise, one show is going to have to be lowest. If the networks continue to cancel the lowest rated soap, they will eventually be left with fewer and fewer until there is just one left.

Getting back to CBS Daytime, there are two possible ways I see the network going, sans ATWT:

Option 1:

12:30 - give this half-hour back to the affiliates (or plug in a new game show if CBS just has to have a game show)

1:00 - The Young and the Restless (this move puts CBS in line with ABC and NBC, whose soap line-up starts at 1:00)

2:00 - The Bold and the Beautiful (finally expand the world's most popular soap to an hour)

3:00 - Let's Make a Deal (affiliates may also air this at 10:00 a.m. instead)

With this option, the network basically replaces ATWT with nothing.

Option 2:

12:30 - The Young and the Restless

1:30 - The Bold and the Beautiful

2:00 - New game show/talk show

3:00 - Let's Make a Deal

This option allows CBS to replace ATWT with a game/talk show just like it did GL.

A wild, out-there Option 3 would look like this:

12:30 - The Young and the Restless

1:30 - The Bold and the Beautiful

2:00 - Days of Our Lives

3:00 - Let's Make a Deal

• Members

I think DAYS is under the radar on NBC now. It´s the only soap in their lineup. And it´s not like they have multitude of wonderfully creative and cheap shows in development to replace it. I think as long as DAYS is profitable, which it has to be now, they are fine with it. They will not kill it just because they don´t want to have soaps in their lineup or some other nonsense like that.

• Members

I didn't know that about the Nancy Grace show. I guess they will bring in Pyramid or another game show? I hope it's better than LMAD.

I think they don't do Big Brother more often because when they tried in 2000 they flopped. I think the show needs to make more of an effort to at least go to 4 days a week (this past season, there was huge drama which would have gotten ratings but was left on the cutting room floor because of the show's rigid editing process).

• Members

Yeah but NBC has been perplexing to me the past couple of years. Clearly the network is heading in some new direction I'm just not sure what it is. Perhaps they have no clue either. Many consider Jay Leno a flop but if he attracts 6 million viewers a night, brings in ad revenue, is low cost, and makes money who's to say it's a flop to them. Also shows that seem to be NBC staples now like The Office and 30 Rock don't do well in ratings but do a decent job with the younger demos. Days is up in demos and is back to drawing not just a decent overall audience along with pulling in a respectble amount of those pesky younger viewers.

And who does Nancy Grace appeal to. I don;t watch her but who are they trying to pull in. The same people who think The View is must see TV?

Archived