Article on The Daily Beast-Who's Killing the Soaps

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So basically, she got a job at soap magazines to make fun of them, and she only connected to actors by assuming they, like her, were slumming. But now, happily ever after, she has "a real job"...writing at The Daily Beast, which seems to be a pseudo-intellectual version of Huffington Post.

I love this comment:

I enjoy a lot of the comments. She wrote a headline that has little to do with her story, which seems to be mostly about how she lowered herself to do soaps and met people who were obsessed. I'm glad her readers didn't seem to be as condescending as her tone was.

• Members

It's just ridiculous. This headline and then we get three pages of her gazing at her own navel, ending in her patting herself on the back because she now has a "real" job where she writes for some webzine which is a hybrid of a million other webzines.

The only thing I got out of it was that photo of Julianne Moore I'd never seen before.

• Members

I knew her. She was fired. It wasn't a lay-off. She and one other person were replaced by two new editors.

As the article sort of indicates, she definitely didn't have a passion for soaps. She even snickers at her colleagues who did.

She was a nice person. But she clearly never appreciated what soaps had to offer. This article only affirms that for me.

• Members

Wow, she really was an unhappy camper.

I always wondered why soap stars are so disconnected from the rest of hollywood, they get no shine anywhere other than the soapworld. Their celebrity status is below reality stars.

I don't doubt that the people in the industry love their jobs and doing what they are doing but no one outside of soaps seem to take them serious. It seems working in the soap industry is a blessing and a curse.

• Members

Yes. I don't think she hated them or felt contempt, she was just — uninterested. Nor do I think she thought of the job she had as a lower-class one.

Awful it isn't. Kind of. Missing the point and meandering off-topic — yes. But this:

<_< What on Earth were they then?

• Members

You know it's bad when even I think you're being a condescending, hateful bitch toward the genre and the people in it.

I get it, she hated her job and her life. Been there, done that. But this "article" seems more like an attempt to convince herself that her current life isn't garbage. Try again.

Archived