Soap actors who never had a defining role

• Members

Maureen's another character I think has had the good fortune to be cast more than once successfully. I could accept Ellen Parker (who should've been snapped up by another soap when GL let her go, gosh darn it!) as Maureen just as easily as I could Ellen Dolan -- and believe me, I don't just accept ANYONE as a Reardon. ;-)

I think many of the first- or second-generation (TV) soap actors were those who never had defining soap roles - actors such as Val Dufour and Ann Williams come to mind.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know. I think she didn't get more work because she was over a certain age, and not stick thin. Even when she was on GL, they didn't use her very often. It was yet another reminder of how out of touch with their audiences soaps can often be. Someone like Maureen is someone who is easily dismissed by the elites as "boring," when that's actually a touchstone for many fans.

I do think Margo and Tom were very lucky in their recasts. Probably Margo moreso than Tom, but the only Tom I ever saw until Youtube and the occasional holiday classic rerun was Scott Holmes, so he was fine with me. I did like seeing Justin Deas as Tom, he had great passion. Gregg Marx is more of the classic leading man type, and had strong sex appeal.

Speaking of ATWT, I was just thinking about Sharon Case, who went around for years on GH and ATWT in roles which didn't go anywhere, and then she was cast as Sharon on Y&R. She's a good actress but she was also lucky to have gotten that part when she did because the first 3-4 years Sharon was a superbly written character.

Liz Keifer is another who went around for years until she found gold with Blake on GL.

• Members

Yet another great example of a character (Blake Marler) w/ more than one successful actor attached. Each GL fan has his or her particular favorite (mine was/is Sherry Stringfield), but I'd be hard-pressed to argue that LK or even Elizabeth Dennehy, the original Blake (after the writers came back from the '88 WGA strike and turned her into Roger and Holly's daughter) didn't do a good job w/ the role.

Conversely, although Mart Hulswit played Ed Bauer the longest, and is probably the most iconic in that role to GL fans of a certain age, I personally think Peter Simon did a much better job conveying Ed's personal sense of angst.

• Members

I think some fans may almost prefer Hulswit because he didn't play the angst as much. Ed's sorrow and sadness under Simon is something which some people seemed bothered by, although I thought it fit the character.

Most of the time now when soaps recast they seem to put everything on the actor, but really, it's the writing. The best recasts are often those who have the strongest writing, like LK's Blake, the various Vickys on AW (minus the one after Ellen Wheeler), Jack and Jill on Y&R.

• Members

I got another one. Amelia Heinlee. She's been on City/Loving, AMC and Y&R and I dont think either of these soaps had a defining role for her. She's been on Y&R the most as Victoria, but to this day she is still compared negatively against Heather Tom. Mia from AMC was a mess and I dont think Steffi was all that memorable from the City/Loving

Archived