Soap actors who never had a defining role

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's true. I guess Nola was the role which Lisa had the most longevity in, and many might say that's her better role, since she wasn't miserable all the time, but I have always preferred her as Iva. Iva was so real...perhaps a bit too real for daytime. She was also very believable as a survivor of sexual abuse.

Larkin of course his most known role is probably Travis on AMC, but at times that seemed like a placeholder role to me, and Sky was the role with more heart.

• Members

Ah yes, I was going to mention Beverlee McKinsey in my earlier Marj Dusay post when I was reminded of this book I saw a few years back about "soap divas". Th author profiles various soap actresses and he associates Beverlee McKinsey with Iris and Marj Dusay with Alex. I thought BM deserved to have Iris AND Alex attributed to her, obviously he was trying to be fair by giving all of the ladies their own chracter, but I'd argue that many fans only know BM as Alex where she made an indelible impression. This book was pre-Vanessa, but even Myrna was more up MD's alley than Alex.

Having said that, I've seen a fair amount of BM on AW, and I'd have to go with Iris. The role that made her a star and where she really acted her tail off. She was always wonderful, but there were times where I felt like unhappiness and fatigue kept her from giving Alex her all. It's the Iris scenes that give me goose pimples and make me think she's just the greatest.

• Members

Both characters were worlds apart. Iris was neurotic butterfly socialite who was always on an emotional roller coaster with needed her loving father Mac Cory give her attention. Alex was well rounded, strong, solid businesswoman who had grew to never need her harsh father's attention. And yet McKinsey excelled at both roles. I don't think I could chose personally, both defined the versatility of McKinsey.

As for Larkin Malloy, I will always know him as Kyle Sampson. Too bad GL never brought him back in the 90s either.

Archived