ATWT Tribute Thread

• Members

Here's another good clip of Lyla. This is when Casey was just her lodger, but you can see the hints there. Anne Sward does a great job of playing up some sensual undertones (unbuttoning his top button, running her hands through his hair) while generally having Lyla be a friend. By the time I started watching, Casey was almost gone, and Lyla had moved into a more maternal role. Anne seems capable of also bringing a bit of sex appeal, although you can see how Casey could bring that out in somebody (and look, a man on a soap who has a hairy chest!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oE94u3Vq4Y&feature=related

A few years later, here's Holden and Heather Rattray's Lily getting married. Lyla sings a beautiful a capella version of "Forever Young." This is also memorable for the ugly bridesmaid dresses, and for Julie watching the wedding from afar. And for Lily's bizarre, Esther Williams-esque tiara. Even Iva and Lucinda are wearing very...lively dresses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_h0zvVph7k

Edited by CarlD2

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Velekka Grey was the first Lyla,but there was some sort of backstage clash-I think between her and Don Hastings(but I may be wrong)

Yes the Sandy of the 70's is Sandy McGuire,Bob's 2nd wife.It's interesting that an ex wife with no other connections stayed on the show years after a divorce.

Carol,Grant,Melinda,Beau,Don,Mary,Joyce were just some of the established characters dropped by the Dobsons during their run.

• Members

Do you think they were right to get rid of those characters, or was it a mistake?

Who were Melinda and Beau again?

I know Veleka Gray had a good soap run in the 70s, and at one time played dual roles on Y&R (this wasn't a part of the story), but I have to admit I can never see anyone but Anne as Lila.

What did you think of the recast Lisa, Betsy von F something? I saw a clip of her from a May 1984 episode and her voice gets on my nerves.

I was also going to ask, who was Tucker, how long was he around? I had never heard of him until I saw him in some 84-85 episodes, dating Heather and working with Steve.

• Members

Beau Spencer was the guy who bounced back and forth between the Stewart sisters in the late 70s. He eventually married Annie, but they divorced, and then he married Melinda, who was Jennifer's daughter/Barbara's half-sister/Kim's niece. If I remember my reading right, Beau and Melinda divorced, and Beau left town, but then Melinda died under the Dobsons a year later.

• Members

I love Georgeann Johnson! She is a great character actress. She had a good supporting role in Murphy's Romance, and great guest turns on some dramas. On St. Elsewhere she played a woman who was a contender for an artificial heart, but ultimately declined, because she decided she would rather live out the time she had left being active and enjoying moments with her family. On Wiseguy she played a massively corrupt Congresswoman.

She was also on Somerset off and on for years. I think she and Jameson Parker had the first story on a soap which was about an older woman and a younger man.

I didn't know Melinda was Jennifer's daughter, and Kim's niece. So she had a lot of scenes with them? That was such a waste to kill her, she could have been a core character later on.

• Members

Actually, the Dobsons brought Joyce back, but then wrote her out again. Grant was on for awhile under the Dobson's but then was written out at the same time as Joyce.

Betsy VF was a weird Lisa, her voice was similar to EF's but her Lisa was both snootier (part of that was BFV, Fulton always has the North Carolina girl thing about her, which fits Lisa who was born lower middle class) and more uptight and controlled.

Is it weird that I think clips of a young Don Hastings, that I find him kind of sexy??? And god' please let me age as well as him!!!

• Members

In the freeze shown above,the guy on the left is Seth Snyder.

I think Marland's thing of large families like the Reardons and Snyders doesn't always come off because they are never on at the same time and some members inevitably get lost in the shuffle.

Seth and Ellie have never had airtime or story since their original runs.

• Members

Ellie has never appeared since her original run, has she?

I was a big fan of Seth. He was a smart man who made mistakes -- not easy to pull off in a show, but Marland managed it. He had great chemistry with the family. He was also someone who managed to be both classically handsome and yet believable as a farmhand. He filled out those jeans so well you could believe he'd worn them all his life. Or he filled them out so well, you didn't care if he had or not.

I think Marland's concept for the Snyders was very solid, in that he could use a core set of characters and then have others as backup if the actors ever left. Those who left were constantly mentioned through phone calls, letters, or the occasional visit. That has gone by the wayside over the years, but that's because of budget cuts and poor writing. Still, the Snyders and their farm have lived on, and I think Marland would have been proud, or relatively proud, of the introduction of Jack, and to a much lesser degree, Brad.

It's bugged me how in recent years people live at the farm yet do no work. Does the farm still run? I mean I can't see Janet or Liberty out there milking cows.