• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Johnny Weir is not happy with the way Tonya Harding is being portrayed in the media.
The 33-year-old two-time Olympian ice skater spoke out about what he considers “glamorization of a villain” on social media on Tuesday (January 9).

I am so over the glamorization of a villain simply because she was born on the “wrong side of the tracks.” While her upbringing may have been tragic, athletes come from all walks of life and succeed based on merit, not assault. I won’t applaud her and I stand for Nancy.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by DAMfan

• Members

I didn't see the movie but I have a copy of the script and the story is sort of weird.  I think the writers attempted to 'split the difference' by showing two sides of a story, two accounts that were widly different and conflicting.

The glamorization wasn't so much in the script as in the choice of the actress to play Tonya.  Margot Robbie is on the covers of magazines, had they chosen someone who could be more visually gritty, or unglamorized the character (a la Charlize Theron in Monster or Hillary Swank in Boys Don't Cry), the glamour issue would disappear.

Way before the film was finished cutting, I heard rumors that Allison Janney was the best part of the film.  Even though Harding's mother IRL claims that the portrayal is nothing like her, it looks as if Janney's performance was indeed the best part of the movie.

If people were concerned about what message this sends about Harding, then maybe DON'T invite her to red carpets and to the Golden Globes.  Maybe don't give her ovations when her name is called.  That would be one way to have not risked glamorizing her.

As for figure skating itself, they've got more than enough scandals without resorting to fixation on Tonya Harding. 

They've got bribery scandals and they've had at least one known former member of the infamous East German Stasi who coached a world class pairs team from Germany.

They still have skaters complaining about the system of Olympic selection as being unsatisfactory and unfair.

Figure skating has bigger problems in regards to its image than Tonya Harding. 

Weir, who all but applied to Russian citizenship just a few short years ago, needs to give up on this one.

• Members

I kind of have a completely different opinion about Ashley Wagner now.  There is always going to be a passing of the guard, and she knows she competes in a judged competition. There's alot unfairness sometimes all the way around, and that's just how it goes.  Not in any single interview did I see a reporter or host (in regard to her *itch fest about her scoring) - I didn't see a single person bring up the fact....hun, you didn't make the team the last time, and if they went by the scores you were left off.  But that committee at that time voted to put you on there instead of Nagasu and that left her on the outside looking in.  But I'm sure you loved that they voted you on instead, and alot of people thought that was unfair.  I don't remember if she was sick and just didn't compete or if it was an injury, but they were betting you would be ready even though you didn't skate.  So stop with the unfairness this time around.