Favorite Christmas songs?

alphanguy74

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh wow! It's always good to have a chance to hear Florence Ballard sing. Shame they generally had one lead singer, such a waste for a group, IMO, but common in those days. That's probably why I've taken to The Mamas and the Papas so much because all four got to sing. Not to go too far off topic, but the type of Christmas songs I generally like are more modern pop songs. The christmas standards are nice, but over played and I feel like so many just have been covered so many times with poor arrangements that I can't stand to listen to them anymore. Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas is delightful as is Wham!'s Last Christmas.

My favorite girl group, Girls Aloud, released a Christmas album as a bonus disc to their Chemistry album and it contained some new tracks. My favorite christmas song is Count the Days. It's such a beautiful, well sung song without sounding like it's been done a million times. I can listen to it in Christmas or in July because it's just a good song. I also love the Sugababes New Year which covers Christmas and New Year's (obviously lol). Both are lesser known in the grand scheme of holiday songs, but two of my favorites.

Sugababes 1.0 New Year

The reason I love this song so much is more to do with the album and group in general. Their first album was recorded when they were 13-15 and it's amazing how mature it is, yet appropriate and believable for their age. It's also well sung, has aged well and their voices are amazing. If I knew their age when I bought the cd I probably wouldn't have expecting some Disney crap. I also love that the Xmas song was included on their album and a single to boot, not just tacked on to a re-release or a lost on an Xmas album.

Girls Aloud Count the Days

Nadine's voice is so beautiful on this track and the production feels like Christmas. It's the best track on their Xmas cd.

• Members

It's almost easier to name what I don't like, and what possibly is the most annoying Christmas song ever "The Christmas Shoes".

But my fave-faves include Darlene Love's "(Christmas) Baby Please Come Home", Eartha Kitt's original "Santa Baby", any "Jingle Bell Rock", anything from "Charlie Brown Christmas", "We Need a Little Christmas", Aaron Neville's "Please Come Home for Christmas" and just about any novelty song. And "Baby It's Cold Outside", by Dean Martin, which for some reason gets lumped in with Christmas songs, even though it doesn't have anything to do with the holiday other than there being snow in the lyrics.

• Members

You know, you usually say things like, "Wow, I didn't know so-and-so could sing", but wow, I didn't know that Kim Fields so could NOT sing. :lol: That schmedley was all over the place. But yes, Blair (daughter of Nicky Coster and Marj Dusay) was good! And Jo at the piano is so funny to me for some reason.

Some of my favorites:

-I'll Be Home For Christmas (Carl, Julia sings this on a Designing Women Christmas too, Mary-Jo and Anthony sing as well, dubbed studio recordings natch... oh God, that reminds me of that Another Life Christmas we were talking about a few months ago! :lol: )

-Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

-Do You Hear What I Hear?

-O Holy Night

-Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt)

-All I Want For Christmas Is You (Love Actually is a great Christmas movie)

-The Chipmunks Christmas Song

-The Little Drummer Boy (The Vienna Boys Choir singing this over the opening credits of the claymation special still gives me chills, especially at: and Miss Greer Garson as Our Story Teller"... I get off on stuff like that)

ETA: Donny Hathaway's This Christmas!

• Members

I can't remember if Nancy McKeon could actually play or not, but they had her at the piano in later seasons too.

I loved Facts of Life when I was a kid and this episode I remember because it was a proud moment for Blair, who was my favorite character. It was such a good TV moment too, as everyone joins in, and the shy, proud smile Jo gives Blair as she begins to play.

Yeah, Kim Fields isn't too great with the singing there. Although it doesn't quite beat the doozy that was Charlotte Rae and the first season cast singing the FoL theme song :blink:

• Members

When Kassie Wesley started out on OLTL, I would be reminded of Lisa Welchel ALL the time, these posh blonde Blairs with their inexplicable southern accents. Blair Warner was supposed to be from Manhattan, and Blair Daimler, well, do I even need to go there...

Oh Lord, Charlotte Rae, I just love that woman, she's got that Betty White thing going on, everybody's gramma... but as I understand it, Charlotte's even kookier than Mrs. G. That "Joan Collins is a bitch" business was so incredibly priceless!

• Members

Those Rankin-Bass Christaas specials had some really GREAT songs. I rewatch them every year, and for some reason I SOB all the way through them. One I will NEVER EVER EVER watch again is "Nestor, The Long Eared Christas Donkey"... I watched it the first time when I was about 9, and for little a gay Momma's boy, that was some TRAUMATIC sh!t. Some of the rest of them have some GORGEOUS music, these are my favorites:

There's Always Tomorrow:

Heat Miser/Snow Miser:

I Believe In Santa Claus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlo1kldHjF8

My World is Beginning Today (I guess someone made an amateur video.. but it is the original song)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrLMBoX0juQ

• Members

Oh, and I also love the Island of Misfit Toys song. I always rooted for those toys to stay on the island and not conform just because they were suddenly deemed worthy. Just as I rooted for Rudolph to tell the rude, hostile Santa in that special to go to he!!.

Archived