American Music Awards

Soapsuds

• Members

It seems everyone loved Lady Gaga. I love her music. I thought Adam's song was ok. The performance took away from the song...well I believe so. I'd rather he just sang it and had moves to go with it...a la Janet Jackson. Half the time I couldnt hear what he was saying cause he was kissing a guy....gropping another....yelling the song......

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think he needs to leave anything at home! What he did wasn't much different than what ABC shows on Brothers And Sisters, they shouldn't have had THAT much of a cow. And anyway.... it's a way for him to get publicity, it's the world we live in today. You gotta get attention somehow, Barbara Eden got it with her navel, Madonna got it doing "Like A Virgin" in a wedding gown, this is just a continuation of a rich tradition. I think his record company was trying to portray him as more "iffy" by having him pose with those naked women, and this was his way of rebelling against that. That's my opinion. I'm glad he was himself, and didn't change anything... And Shari Shepherd has the nerve to say it's just WRONG what he did... what is WRONG is seeing her fat ass in a bathing suit every time I went through the checkout stand a couple months ago.

• Members

Those were cleared with ABC.

If Brothers and Sisters had men making out, touching vaginas, and simulating blow jobs, they wouldn't have made it on the air.

With Congress always ready, willing, and able to wade in on "family values" and the FCC more than willing to smack down huge fines, it could have cost ABC major amounts of money for him to do what he did. That he was so unapologetic about it means he may do the same again, so I can't blame them for not wanting him on their network anymore.

• Members

The groping and blow job was completely tasteless whether it is network or MTV. I'm sorry, that is trashy and not artistic. Gaga, Prince and Madonna may shock, but there is a method to their madness and they aren't trashy. You can look and see what they're going for. Adam was trying to shock and get attention pure and simple. The way you know is because the idiot wants to lie and say it was all spontaneous. Please. At least have some balls and own up to it.

The only thing I didn't mind was the kiss. So what? It bothers me that The Early Show picked him up and then when discussing the kiss they blurred it out where you couldn't see it. Then they showed the kiss with Britney and Madonna uncensored. That is a CLEAR case of discrimination. Other than that, I understand the complaints.

• Members

Rihanna has this sexy deadpan/minimal movement thing that she does, that worked so perfectly when she did Umbrella on the MTV awards that year, but watching the AMAs the other night and being utterly bored by her performance, I realized that I was probably less charmed by her performance style than by the killer beat and hook of Umbrella that did 90% of the work for her. She is undeniably beautiful on or off stage, but as a performer, pair her with a crap song and all of that *mystique* just turns into dead behind the eyes and boring.

• Members

Yeah.. I understand that, Carl. My issue is the prudishness of our culture when it comes to sex, European television makes US TV look like an episode of the Electric Company. But on US TV, all the networks have no problem whatsoever showing decomposing bodies, projectile vomiting, spurting blood, decapitation, you NAME IT. I have to close my eyes during the commercials when I watch Y&R because of the damn promos for those shows! So some queen feigns a blowjob fully clothed for about 3 seconds and everyone comes unglued? Really?

• Members

I'm sorry but even in the UK that blow job would cause a fuss. It is incredibly tasteless. I'm sorry I'm gay and I don't feel like I'm a prude either. I'm all for pushing boundaries but I think it was tacky and he was trying way too hard. And he needs to at least grow some balls and admit it was planned. All that wasn't spontaneous. I'm not an idiot.

• Members

You really think so? UK, maybe... but definately not in Holland or Sweden, or any host of other countries. And although it did get alot of press and attention, we didn't see this amount of OUTRAGE when this happened:

Diana-Ross-Lil-Kim-boob_l.jpg

There's always gonna pushing of the envelope. People get their panties in a bunch over most anything. I'm gonna pull out Helen again, but THIS caused every bit as much controversy and outrage as Lambert has, doesn't look so outrageous today, does it?

• Members

Yes, the Diana/Lil Kim thing was on MTV, but you can be darn sure the clips were played on Entertainment tonight and a host of other gossip and late night talk shows. Of course, the Helen Reddy Grammy speech was on Network TV, but people really had a coronary over it. Walter Cronkite even reported on it for several nights.

Archived