Great Women of Soaps

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tend to blame so-called "Method training" -- which has its benefits, granted, but shouldn't be foisted onto every actor. Because, the truth is, there are and were plenty of actors who were damn good and who didn't sit at the knees of Strasberg, Adler, etc.

• Members

Hedda is fun, too, b/c her motives are always murky, at best. That's part of the reason why so many actresses would be good at portraying her, IMO. Alexis, OTOH, is more specific as a character; her line of motivation is much, much clearer. Even if you "get" Alexis, however, that's not a guarantee that you have what it takes to portray her successfully.

• Members

Particularly the Brits. And though Strasberg is widely regarded as the genius of that crop of gurus, Adler seems to be the one that a lot of the greats left Strasberg for. She wasn't into all that self-indulgence and believed that the actor should rely more on his imagination than the actual events of his life. She could be a little camp:

• Members

"Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Eileen Brennan...."

You know, I'm accused all the time in acting class - yes, I'm taking an acting class, shut up! - but I'm always accused of not putting enough energy into my performance(s). Fear has a tremendous amount to do with that, I think. No matter how much you give yourself permission to "look stupid" onstage and in front of others, you (or I) still hold back.

Of course, judging from the clip, if Stella Adler is what they're looking for, sorry, but that's beyond even my capabilities.

• Members

I thought the same thing! :lol: Didn't she play a kooky acting teacher on Will & Grace?

I know what you mean. Sometimes the character can be freeing when it comes to that, like, if you were playing Opal. The more "real" the character is let alone the closer it is to you, we have a tendency to pull back and play it small. We're afraid of getting "real" "wrong".

Constance Towers wears her own stuff? I didn't know that. She has good taste. Morgan Fairchild wore a lot of her own stuff on The City.

Archived