Great Women of Soaps

• Members

The book that the lawsuit was about wasn't ever published. Random House owns that book and they've never released it. The book Joan was discussing with Selina Scott, Infamous, was a bestseller in the UK and US for a week or two. She didn't really stop writing either, she's written a few lifestyle books since the Random House debacle and two more novels, Star Quality and Misfortune's Daughters, both of which were minor bestsellers. Joan's books sell, they just never sell BIG.

She has a new book coming out next year, a nonfiction work entitled 'The World According to Joan'...should be a hoot.

In other Joan news, she's booked two movies ('Dogs in Pocketbooks' starring Lydia Hearst in which Joan plays a high powered agent and 'Unforgettable' with Robert Wagner. The first movie shoots in LA and NY in February, the second films in Spain in March) and her pantomime role is a hit, I saw it right before I attempted to leave the UK (I got out 4 days later than expected, thank you Charles de Gaulle airport!) and she was fabulous and looked amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Daytimefan have you heard anything about a show Joan was supposed to do not long after Dynasty ended, where she would have been a sleuth (but always walking through the front door, not doing grub work). It would have been produced by Motown.

• Members

It was in a 1989 Digest, not long after Dynasty was done. If I can find the whole thing I'll type it up.

I think it would have been a great idea, I'm sorry it didn't happen.

I wonder if ITV might ever consider giving her a try for a detective show, instead of constantly recasting Marple.

• Members

Not sure which thread this would be appropriate in. Does anyone remember Shelly Burch, who played the always fabulous Delilah Ralston on OLTL? In 1989 she starred in the Papermill Playhouse version of Showboat in the marquee role of "Julie", the black girl who passed for white until it all caught up with her. Anyway, youtube has the whole production up and it's worth a look if you like that sort of thing. Here is Shelly singing her character's signature tune at about the 4:15 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaeQGmTwEZ0&feature=related

she was so beautiful and talented, I don't know why she didn't have a bigger career.

• Members

Shelley was so charismatic and beautiful and ethereal - the essence of what a young vixen/heroine on a soap should be, and something most soaps regularly fail at. She still looked great when she came back in 2001.

She has a very pretty voice, although I don't think she puts enough pain into the song, the way Helen Morgan did.

I was just reading a Digest article on her a few days ago, it was from somewhere around 1989. She had battled eating disorders for several years and had low self-esteem. In 1989 she'd also moved to Florida, which I guess helped her decision to leave OLTL. She seemed to focus a lot on her faith.

I'm sorry she didn't have more soap work, but then they don't cast someone like her on soaps now, sadly.

Archived