Y&R Episodes Discussion, Week of October 12, 2009

• Members

He has to look bad for Billy to look tough or hot or whatever.

Are they changing it to where Chloe is the one who didn't want to sign the papers, and Billy did? At the time, Billy didn't want to sign them.

I can imagine someone at Y&R sitting back and saying, "Yes, now I can do that 'is it rape, really, or does it get her hot?' story!!" that someone - Hogan - loves so much.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's like watching the virgin club on Glee. Ridiculous.

As I have said before, my backstory is that Chance had a powerful high school love. And thanks to Cat (and her ER/Luka reminder), I've decided that she wanted to wait to have sex, and that he was happy to do it because he loved her. And then she broke up with him or died, and he was plunged into despair, and impulsively joined the army at 18. And this is why this young man of means became an Iraqi soldier.

Now, for as long as I hold on to this backstory (for the show is giving me none), then Chance is not a "virgin" in the sense that he proclaims it as a choice. He is a virgin due to the circumstances of his high school love, his young age, and his impulsive decision to go to Iraq.

Which means he wouldn't broadcast it like this.

The only way i can see someone broadcasting it like this (at least a man) is if it is a choice from faith. In other words, "In my beliefs, you wait until you get married". But Nina's not religious like that, and none of the Chancellor's are (except Brock)...so I don't see where this is coming from.

I'm harping again. I'm as bad with this as lmfan is with Likey neglect, LOL. :lol:

But I really want Chance to be something. I've been waiting for him for a decade! (Just like I've been waiting for Patty for 25 years, and look where that got me!). This embarrassing "I'm a virgin stuff", played by a 30 year old man... Why doesn't he just buy a t-shirt proclaiming this, or maybe a purity ring?

• Members

Tell me the truth.

Were you embarrassed by it?

I literally got red faced. I literally felt like I was watching some afterschool special. I literally felt like I had stumbled on the kind of scene that gives fuel to detractors of the genre.

HOW THE F*CK DOES CHANCE KNOW IF HIS SEX WILL BE "MEANINGFUL" IF HE'S NEVER HAD ANY????????? HOW CAN HE BE HOLIER THAN THOU LIKE THIS???

They really need to make him a major Baptist or something. Then at least I'll understand why he's like this.

• Members

Everyone just needs to realize that your explanation will not be given. The writers suck at details, they don't care about it, just as long as plot is pushed at the viewers are stunned by their twists and turns.

I know it hurts not having all the answers and having to come up with them ourselves, but it won't go better from here.

• Members

Actually, the term that came to mind was sub-afterschool special. :D

I was both embarrassed and creeped out. (I think I'd have been equally creeped out if the character was female.)

The sanctimonious, cue-the-violins dialogue was one thing. But Chance doesn't feel any flesh-and-blood human I've ever witnessed. I don't think the writers view him as anything other than a polar contrast to horndog Billy.

• Members

I'd really like a reboot on Chance. Not a detective. (Not without a uniform stint, and maybe some College).

Right now, the way they're writing this perfection, I truly keep thinking Dexter. I can totally see him being a deranged, sex-obsessed serial killer responsible for prostitute murders all over town. So that this "upright guy" is his cover.

And here's the problem. With this regime, that is an ENTIRELY PLAUSIBLE twist. Poof. There goes another "legacy" character.

ETA: How can they have 30-year old Chance in a chastity belt, but 16 year old Noah and Eden are staining the Tack House sofa nightly??? I don't get it....

• Members

EXACTLY.

MAB is both writer and producer. She's in charge of all of that. She makes that very clear in her interviews.

And really, this is the Los Angeles television industry in 2009. Not a southern baptist church in the '50s. If the writers do have some kind of prejudice, it's against 'the Winterses' - not 'black people'.

• Members

MAB seems to be in over her head. I can't imagine she has a lot of real interest in most of what is going on.

If this was just about the Winters, then they could have brought other black characters in to phase the Winters out. That hasn't happened.

• Members

Mark H, keep your ideas to yourself or MAB will steal them and Chance will be killed off by a do-gooder saving GC from a serial killer come May sweeps.

As for Micheal and Lauren, I seriously think that the writers can't separate CLB from his character so don't know how to write for a middle aged in love couple.

Archived