Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't remember what was going on when the show beat GH, but I'm wondering if it was around the time Darcy held Beth and I think Alexandra hostage. One of the guys in school brought it up when school restarted and a girl brought it up a year later during my first summer job. I think they watched during that time but stopped watching sometime after 

• Members

May 28-June 1--Bert's surgery, HB/Reva in Hawaii, Phillip and Mindy decide to divorce, Fletch/Claire/Jim/Hillary in San Rios to receive an award, Josh is waiting for Reva to return to tell her he still loves her and Nola brings AJ home

4-8, --this must be the week of Josh's accident/reveal that HB married Reva

11-15, the 13th Vanessa tells Billy she's pregnant, the 14th Reva convinces Billy to talk to Josh, the 15th Billy convinces Josh to have the surgery. Also this week, Lujack/Beth at the beach.

Alexandra and Beth were taken hostage in August of that year, just after Reva had a meltdown and declared herself the Slut of Springfield at Billy and Vanessa's party at the end of July.

ATWT's wedding of Steve and Betsy also occurred the week of 5/31 (and while it did not garner the rumored 20 million viewers) it's not unreasonable to think it could have positively impacted GL's numbers.

Edited by P.J.
clarification

• Members

That summer GL was on fire..and the material leading up to the summer set it all up. All the families had equal time and were mixing together...and the Bauers were still the core. Charita was just coming back from her surgery and was prominently featured and the cabin mystery started off good, with hints of the supernatural and a mystery before it went off the rails...(and Nola should have been more involved...did anyone ever hear if Brown and Long/Kobe had issues.) And yes, Reva was really interesting at that time and Zimmer was actually on fire..for real, not like her fans kept saying later on during Rauch every time she chewed the scenery. 

Then there was an abrupt change of style and focus...and I never understood why that happened as the ratings dropped. 

• Members

Zimmer chewed scenery from day one. I don't know how she managed to make Reva sympathetic, because in rewatching, I find her to be one annoying loudmouth bitch. I suppose that's because I saw all the tears, justifications, and problems she "didn't mean to cause" over the next 20plus years.

Does anyone remember what started Alan's affair with Rita? As played by Chris Bernau, he disposes of his women like newspapers. 

• Members

GL had two show-defining villains w/ MZ Roger (original run 1971-1980 and return 1989-1997) and CB Alan (original run 1977-1984 and return 1986-1988). To those who watched Roger vs. Alan 1977-1980, who wins that villain battle?