Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Totally agree that they handled it completely wrong. I wish they had just had Roger get a message and then disappear. They could have waited until they found out what was going on with Zaz (remember, at that time he didnt even know what was going on, was it a stroke, etc.) and then written him either in, as Holly goes to find him and finds him sick and trys to help him, or out. I wish they had just done that, with the mystery of where was Roger hanging over the characters heads (i.e. Blake saying "Why doesnt he answer my calls?" and Alex and Alan wondering if he would strike next.) After he died they could have had the Sebastian story where he comes to town, enacting vengance on all of Rog's enemies, trying to take over Spaulding, trying tobreaking up Ross and Blake (I would have made him the son of Ed and Rita, who Rog got his hands on and brainswashed him into believing Rog was the father) and have Holly go on a search to find out who he actually was and to track down Roger for real (thus splitting her from the annoying Fletcher) and find out that he had died from the same disease as Zas had, maybe have Ed be there, he treated him on his deathbed, and have a tribute to Zaz there. Ed and Holly could have gotten together at that time, wrapping up their storyline for good and they could have rode off into the sunset together and come to town for weddings etc. Would not have interuppted the "narrative," on the show, and would have been a tribute to Zaz, and an acknowledgement of him and the character's importance. The final insult was MADD refusing to address that Roger even existed, which just looked petty, spiteful, mean, short sited and insulting to the audience.

The character that they should have recast at that time was Alan. If they needed a strong, sexual, dynamic villain, the natural thing was to recast Alan with an actor who could "bring it," instead of RR (never understood who he was blowing to be protected for so long in a role not sutied to him at all.) Recasting the one and only Roger while the actor was sick was never going to do any favors to the new actor, even if he could have taken on Roger.

Edited by Mitch

• Members

concern for people that his character has on television. When people open up to him he is both responsive and kind to them. And for the three years that I have known Mart he has always been this way.

But maybe it takes a few cheeseburgers in the Spring to get to know more about the people you like. Mart Hulswit is certainly a person with a full and active life - thus there is always lots to hear from him.

At the center of his world rests three lovely women. His extremely pretty wife, Maria and daughters Tina, 12/ 1/2, and Jennifer, 10. And never has there been a husband and father more thrilled with the family he has.

Now that his girls are bigger he is almost more enthused with the life they are leading than ever (If possible!) When the girls were younger they attended a Westside Montessori school in which Mart and Maria played a very active role. The children loved it, and Jennifer had the distinction of being Mason Reese's classmate. "She used to mother him," Mart recalls.

Now they are older and attending a school which requires them to take a New York City bus, and be the young adults they are.

Let me tell you that he is doing beautifully. I have seen young fathers fall apart at the seams at the prospect of raising daughters in the city. But not Mart. He loves the idea, and not only that, he does a wonderful job of using the safeguards with his children that complacent suburban families might not think to do. Things like having them ask permission, telephone calls to say they've arrived at a destination, calls to say they are leaving. And as he put it so beautifully, "At least I don't have to worry that they're going to run off to the city when they grow up!"

One of the nicest stories I've heard in a long time concerns a trip that Mart was planning to take alone with Maria to the Yucatan in Mexico. It's the kind of story which lets you know what a person is all about.

It seems that Mart and Maria really hadn't had a vacation alone together in quite some time. Arrangements had been made to leave the girls with their grandparents and all was moving along smoothly. Until Mart started to read up on the Mayan culture. Bringing all of this information to the family, it seems that the girls really started to have a bit of desire to join their parents.

One night Mart looked at Maria and said to her, "You realize that in four or five years Tina and Jennifer will be dying not to have to go on a vacation with their parents? They'll be off back-packing around Europe dreading the thought of tagging along with us!" Maria looked at him and said, "You know, I've been thinking about it too..." And before you knew it, four Hulswits were standing in front of the Mayan ruins, happy to be together.

"Except when Tina (who along with her mom is a budding gymnast) did a cartwheel atop a Mayan ruin. I almost had a heart attack," he groaned. "But when I asked her why she did it, her answer was simple enough, 'Daddy, I bet no one has ever done it before!'"

THere is also another thing that no one has ever done before and that is write a paper entitled "The Eggs of Micromelo Undatus" (I hope I have it right). This is a paper that Mart is writing after a year of preparation. I asked him three times to tell me the name of the science he dabbles in, and you'll just have to take my word for it, it is somewhere in the field of biology. He did his basic research for it on another holiday - at the Bermuda Biological Station. He is so good at this work he does that he received permission to use books for his research that not everyone is allowed access to. If you are a marine-life buff take a look for it in the magazine called Nautilus.

But there is one thing that Mart does that many other people do, and that is appear on daytime television. Yet there are not that many people who have been doing it for half a decade and loving it so much.

In recent months the character of Dr. Ed Bauer has increased not only in importance but in interest. And Mart has had the opportunity to show a great deal more of the dynamite acting ability that he possesses.

bLight is just about one of the best ensemble acting groups on television today. The people on the show, for the most part, adore each other. I think it shows on camera as well. Mart has had the role of Ed Bauer for over five years and has been very lucky to be doing the work that he loves.

"I'm not driven - I'm not hungry for stardom. I've made a living at my craft since 1961 (when he graduated from The American Academy of Dramatic Arts). I'm really quite content."

It's a wonderful thing when a man truly loves his work. Mart has done some films as well and I believe would love to do more. But he wouldn't live on the coast. IF he did a movie he would commute, and keep his family here.

"I don't own a car - I hate them! When I was out in California to do some guest shots on night-time shows I had to take taxis everywhere!"

Sometimes you get a feeling about someone and the direction the might go. Mart's work on The Guiding Light has always been exceptional, and has always grown. Many people who do well on television sometimes don't quite have the power to come through in movies. Yet the part he played in the excellent George Segal/Eva Marie Saint film Loving proved that he could do beautifully in that medium as well.

But for someone who isn't "driven to stardom" and who is extremely grateful to be doing just what it is he doing, Mart Hulswit is a man who absolutely "hates not being busy." He's just about gotten to the point where he is able to "do nothing for an hour."

Somehow people who are that busy and love their work that much, usually grow. The directions where their careers can take them are endless. And the beauty of it all, is that it is not causing Mart to be in a painful hurry to get there. He is where he wants to be and is very much at peace with himself. That is something very special for any of us these days.

By Ronni Ashcroft

• Members

This has a promo for that bizarre "A Spaulding" non-plotline which I believe got SOD's worst story of 1996. And a promo for Lonotrat, the story that almost got GL cancelled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3xQZLfeK5E&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC2l9DB5ocQ&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEawS7404Us&feature=channel